We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 26943 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: October 02, 2010, 01:26:15 PM »
October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere.   trying to organise a new topic/subject for the month of October.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:55:18 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

Re: October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
Yesterday on my way to Auckland to attend a national Clivia show, I was passing through the Karangahake gorge, a site of the original gold rush in 1875 and steeped in gold mining history.
When I stopped at a picnic place for a well-earned cappuccino fix, I could not help but notice these vast area's of Allium triquetrum which streched for miles on either site of the river and the roadsites.
To many people, to see all these pure white pendulous flowers striped with green, may be a  pretty sight and experience, but in our temperate climate this onion weed has the potantial and tendencies to invade large area's of land and become a problem.
Anyway, I could not resist to take a few pictures to show you these sites, and was thinking that Mark our OnionMan might have been impressed and enjoyed the experience.
Would you like me to dig up a few bulbs for you Mark? There will only be a few trillion bulbs left.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:52:07 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »
Bill,

There is a lot of this in the Dandenongs, near Otto's place.  I hadn't seen it up here.  Our "Onion Weed" is a very different thing.

You might also want to add to the subject of this topic to make it "October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere", to save future confusion. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:47:54 PM »
Bill,
You might also want to add to the subject of this topic to make it "October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere", to save future confusion. 8)

Good idea: Paul do you know how/where to modify/edit the subject and changed it to "October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere"
Otherwise we might need our beloved Maggi to do it for us ;D ;D  Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:59:00 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: October in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:34:38 AM »
If you hit "Modify" on your original message I think you can change the subject line there?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
If you hit "Modify" on your original message I think you can change the subject line there?

Think I managed Paul, Thanks
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »
All good, Bill.  All good! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »
How does the Bulbine handle frost?  If it is so good for cuts and burns etc, and it were frost hardy, then it might be a good alternative to Aloe Vera in colder climates?  Or is it tender as well?

Paul, Bulbine frutescens is frost hardy, the container has been sitting outside all winter.
In addition, someone mentioned that test done with the plants chemical substances on bald people looks promising and possibly promote new hair growth.
Another theory goes that if applied liberally for cosmetic reasons, could make you look 10 years younger  ;D ;D.  How about that?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:27:58 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 12:57:15 PM »
This colourful, little Geissorhiza radians aka winecups, is always welcome, and never fails to brighten up someone's day
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 01:21:43 PM »
The last posting for the day, this charming miniature Iris gracilipes, with its lilac-blue flowers is one of my favourite species in the Iris genus.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:00:20 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 02:42:55 PM »
Yesterday on my way to Auckland to attend a national Clivia show, I was passing through the Karangahake gorge, a site of the original gold rush in 1875 and steeped in gold mining history.
When I stopped at a picnic place for a well-earned cappuccino fix, I could not help but notice these vast area's of Allium triquetrum which streched for miles on either site of the river and the roadsites.
To many people, to see all these pure white pendulous flowers striped with green, may be a  pretty sight and experience, but in our temperate climate this onion weed has the potantial and tendencies to invade large area's of land and become a problem.
Anyway, I could not resist to take a few pictures to show you these sites, and was thinking that Mark our OnionMan might have been impressed and enjoyed the experience.
Would you like me to dig up a few bulbs for you Mark? There will only be a few trillion bulbs left.

Thanks for thinking of me Bill :D  Wow, there's certainly a bazillion Allium triquetrum; a good example of invasiveness.  I don't grow this one, I need not tell you why ;D  The scenery is fascinating yet somewhat incongruous to my eyes, to see such herbaceous lush growth and then items that look tropical to me, is that a cycad in the first photo, and a giant Cordyline in another view.  Very pretty to see such flowering masses, but I'm glad its not here, also glad the invader is not an American species ;D

By the way, love Iris gracilipes, one of the most elegant species!
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 09:55:58 PM »
Bill,
your images of invasive A. triquetrum are amazing. I'm happy that I have now a 'small clump' in my garden after the first trials ended up in rotted bulbs after strong frosts... ??? ::) Unlike many muscari who are sprouting leaves in NH autuum too, A. triquetrum leaves are not strong frost-hard in my continental climate.

Your Geissorhiza radians are pretty nice.
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »
A cycad, yes Mark, we have a few native species and in general they are hardy and tough as old boots, especially the south Island species. Likewise the Cordyline (australis) aka cabbage tree. It will take any snow or rost that our climate can provide. We have so many of them around that we take them for granted. There are thousands of the Corrdyline growing on the hills near me, with kowhai, Sophora tetraptera.

I smell onions every time I drive into my nearby town of Mosgiel and hated the Allium triquetrum for polluting the atmosphere but then realized - when it wasn't in bloom - that the smell was coming from a nearby factory which only makes salads for local hotels and the like. ::)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:36:10 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 08:24:10 AM »
Bill: Thanks from me too for these great images of mass three-cornered leeks! Brought back memories to of a trip to NZ in 2002 (conference in Auckland) about this time of year. I may even have been at the same spot as I have similar pictures (on slides so not easily accessible) of masses of triquetrum! Not hardy here although I can keep them going a few years, covered in winter.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »
As I'm 'snowed under' with this white menace at the moment , perhaps I should use it as a substitute in French Onion Soup' and feed the poor ?
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal