We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium 2012  (Read 49097 times)

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: Cypripedium 2012
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
David, your C. lichiangense group is mouth (eye) watering.

Your point about scorching is well made. I have managed to get leaf scorch after 4 o'clock in the afternoon, and once the leaf is scorched, the rest of the leaf will rot and the plant has nothing left to live for.  :'(
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

angie

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »
David, the Cyp,lichiangense pictures are gorgeous. Thanks very much for posting them. I have tried to get this one but had no luck so I just went for Cyp,fargesii instead. Now thinking to myself if the expert finds it difficult what chance have I  ::). I will give it a try and if I don't succeed I will stick with the easier cyps. I just like these little fellows, so cute.
If anyone knows of a supplier I would like to hear please.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Hakone

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 05:33:07 AM »
lichiangense

bardolphianum

EDIT by Forum Moderator :   Apologies -some earlier photos posted by Hakone have been removed because  of a security issue with their remote hosting site.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
Angie
What experts? It's all trial and very much error. You may have a better clone and find conditions that others have not. As Maren has said above, if the leaves die away then nine times of ten so does the rest of the plant because usually the rhizome is not in A1 health in the first place and just gives up. These are not easy Cyps and even the so called experts will have more die than survive over a length of time. Hence the reason they are not grown on a commercial scale and not seen often in cultivation. Apart from what I have in flasks the rest died in the freeze of November 2010. If they had been in the ground they may have done better with some protection but all were turned to mulch in pots. Other Cyps like tibeticum, flavum, macranthos were in frozen solid pots and did not suffer at all. So also note they are not as hardy as others. A good indication of how healthy the plant is in leaf is by the spots. If there are not that many on the leaves and they are faint it indicates the plant is stressed. A healthy plant will be covered in spots and show good deep colour.

Hakone
Another healthy looking couple of Cyps. Cyp bardolphianum is one I never grew successfully and never flowered. The only one that did flower under this name turned out to be micranthum. Look forward to seeing it in flower and looking at the leaves it could be the yellow one as the darker bardolphianum usually have darker leaves with reddish leaf tips.
Did not mind Cyp micranthum though as it’s a funny little thing. See picture below.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:34:27 PM by Slug Killer »

monocotman

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
Angie -good luck with these spotted leaf types. They really test the skills of even the most experienced growers. I suspect that much depends to a large extent on the quality of the plants that you start with.
If they are cheap imports then the chance of success is minimal.
On another note -the first hybrid noses are just poking through in their pots.
Sunny and Inge, both fasciolatum hybrids.Time to get the outside,
Regards,

David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

ronm

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »
That C. micranthum is severely missing Rod Hull :o :o :o :o, ( apologies to overseas members and members below the age of 40  ;D ;D)

angie

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 04:11:32 PM »
I think I need to stop opening up my computer. Isn't that Cyp micranthum to die for. When the picture is blown up you see all the hairs, brilliant picture. I think you could call yourself an expert, you are just being a little modest  :).
So if my Cyp fargesii dies its because it wasn't a good clone  ::) Because of the advice I get on the forum my plant will stand a better chance of survival. I will keep you informed of my success or failure.

Tonight we might get a bit of frost so I will put a bit of fleece over the plants just to be safe.

Angie  :)

Angie T.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »
That C. micranthum is severely missing Rod Hull :o :o :o :o, ( apologies to overseas members and members below the age of 40  ;D ;D)

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Angie
Some clones are easier than others and it's usually the stronger ones that make it in to general cultivation. The main problem with imported (not saying yours is an import) Cyps in general but especially spotted ones is the lack of good roots. Any with snapped off ends will without doubt die off as they will not repair themselves and unless the plant can produce more quickly enough will certainly die within the first year or maybe two. Fingers are crossed for you.

ronm

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
Oh you are joking!!! :o :o :o. LOL.

angie

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »
isn't it amazing  8).  I hope I have bought my plant from a reliable source. Not sure if I am allowed to say where I bought my Cyp fargesii from. It is from a UK supplier so I hope it hasn't been taken from the wild. I understand now how they aren't so easy available. I hate losing plants and always try my best. I think I will soon find out how difficult they are to grow.
You will just have to keep posting your pictures for us folks that long to be able to have something as special as your Cyp,micranthum.
My fingers and toes are crossed  ;D

Angie T.

Jan

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 12:46:40 PM »
Cypripedium shanxiense

Hakone

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »

EDIT by Forum Moderator :   Apologies -some earlier photos posted by Hakone have been removed because  of a security issue with their remote hosting site.

Jan

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 06:19:28 PM »
very nice

angie

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 08:25:15 PM »
Nice pictures. 8) I finished sorting mine all out today. Now all I have to do is wait for them to grow and flower.

Angie T.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 06:05:01 PM »
Very nice indeed. Thats the first time I've ever seen one in flower. :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal