We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Australian stick insect  (Read 1673 times)

arillady

Re: Australian stick insect
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 04:40:20 AM »
The very quick reply from the Australian Museum below but without a photo it will be hard:

Hi Patricia,

It is a bit difficult without a photo to say what it was – there are several species that would occur in SA which are green and that size, and have spines on them. My best guess is the Red-winged Stick-insect Podocanthus viridiroseus – the hind wings are very bright red, it is large, and has spines on the legs and thorax.

Most stick insects are rarely seen unless you are looking hard for them and know where to look, so it doesn’t surprise me that you haven’t seen your one before. They are experts at remaining unseen.

cheers,

Dave.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 05:28:32 AM »
Vivienne and I were in one of the cheap shops looking for wrapping paper. I spotted a box of "educational" posters. The one on the front was photos of "zoo animals" on a white back ground, including cheetah (labelled leopard); tortoise (labelled turtle); gazelle (labelled deer) and female gorilla (labelled chimpanzee).

That's what you get from going "cheap" Anthony. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 08:40:27 AM »
A four litre plastic plant pot and tray for $3 ain't bad. Expensive by UK standards, but better than the hardware shops in Auckland. In the UK we have pound shops where everything costs £1. I was quickly relieved of the thought that a dollar shop meant the same here. ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
Well we did have $2 shops and everything WAS $2. They have all now become $2 and $5 shops! ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »
Podacanthus viridiroseus is quite large, but the red covers the entire wings.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

arillady

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 12:35:42 AM »
That youtube video looks awfully like the stick insect I saw, colour and size and sleekness but I wish I could see the wings out. I guess they only put their wings out to warn off predators. I have never thought about keeping them as pets till I saw this one and did some googling.
The red patches were bright clear red - no blue in the red at all.
Thanks Anthony for posting the video link.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal