We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus virus  (Read 2553 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Narcissus virus
« on: September 11, 2007, 06:29:12 PM »
I would be glad if someone will be able to tell me whether this pale rings on the leaves of Narcissus viridiflorus are signs of a virus infection. I found this coloration in 2006 too but the plants did grow well (besides of shy flowering as usual).

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Narcissus virus
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:44:53 PM »
I certainly couldn't say it's NOT a virus Gerd, but can't confirm it is either. I mention this because I know that sometimes - and especially with Narcissus - if the leaves have been exposed to light at below ground/potted level (say you tip the pot over, or weed around the bulbs) when the leaves grow to above ground or potting level, there will often be a pale, even lemon coloured band where the previous exposure was. If you see what I mean. But this pale in your pic doesn't look quite as definite as that. It's usually more a pale stripe.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 09:39:07 AM »
Gerd, I am with Lesley and would say that it is something to do with the conditions of temperature and or light when it was growing.
Low light levels which are often accompanied with lower temperatures can reduce the amount of chlorophyll formed. It could also be that you let them get a bit dry for a period - that could also result in a leaf colour change.
There seems to be a corresponding band on the leaves just going out of focus which would also back this theory up.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 08:11:18 PM »
Thank you both, Lesley and Ian.
When these plants started to show their shoots above ground I did not water because it seems too early for me. It is likely this was the reason for the pale stripes. They occured on most of the leaves.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal