We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus rooting now  (Read 7692 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Narcissus rooting now
« on: July 11, 2007, 08:18:31 PM »
Out of interest how does the Bulb Master explain this? I was knocking bulbs out today to get some chipped and found this Narcissus Cedric Morris. No others had roots
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Narcissus rooting now
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:15:51 PM »
No doubt the Bulb Master will have a good explanation Mark but from this end of the world, I'd suggest it's simply because `Cedric Morris' is very early compared with other trumpets. It flowers here May-June (Nov-Dec for you) so stands to reason it will root early too, especially if you've had it anywhere where it was getting some moisture rather than bone dry. Narcissus will start to root with even a little fog in the air, as distinct from rain or watering.

Likewise, the early frits and juno irises root very early - just when I'm about to start to repot them - if there's even a suggestion of dampness in the air.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:17:29 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 09:09:52 AM »
looks like Ian is ignoring me  :'(

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:36:47 AM »
Ingnore you Mark?
How could I. ::)
I have just been busy re-potting with occasional breaks to watch Le Tour.
But today it is pouring down with rain so I am at the PC for a while writing the Bulb Log.
Lesley has given the answer it is all to do with moisture.
Many bulbs will produce roots at any time if moisture is present and especially some Narcissus may never be fully dormant if moisture is around.
You have also been having very hot weather in Ireland and the bulbs will think they have had their summer so if the temperature falls and there is moisture they think it is autumn.
I am also finding odd roots on the narcissus where the pots have not dried out completely.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 10:10:17 AM »
so I have to keep this one moist until the autumn?

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »
That is a good question, if it were mine I would plant it in the garden where it will stay moist.
If you are putting it in a pot then yes you need to keep some moisture there so he roots can survive.
If it gets bone dry and the roots die off it may produce some more roots in autumn or it may not - the bulb should survive what ever.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 11:13:45 PM »
It will do better in the garden anyway Mark. Bulk up more quickly and be generally stronger. Don't forget a little something to discourage both vine weevils and Narcissus fly, sprinkled when you plant it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:54:33 PM »
killed about 10 Vine Weevils tonight. Do you use Vinil?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 12:18:07 AM »
I don't know that. I use SuSCon Green (yes, it's written like that) a pinch sprinkled among the bulbs or roots of a plant when it's potted/planted, not sprinkled on top.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 10:07:46 AM »
I hope you are wearing gloves when you are handling SuSCon Green, Lesley, it is a powerful poison and will kill more than vine weevils. :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:05 PM »
No I don't Maggi. I know I should but potting, planting small things with gloves on (I mean, when I am wearing gloves) is just too fiddly. I do always wash carefully afterwards though.

bettyclark

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 04:47:01 AM »
To all interested in Galanthus reginae olgae : I have grown it against a concrete terrace where it does get the damp but facing north her Min has finished flowering in May very early but it does produce leaves very quickly
 I have been told that it is not correct but it is nothing like the ones grown in ChCh which look very straggly tall and interested. As for those with early roots on bulbs Cedric morris along with n.minorwhich I sure is correct and has the correct measurements given in the 1966 American Jounal  Mine already up with a grey green leaf 15cm ribbed and 12mm wide As far as I can make out used to be called nanus.  Another way to handle suscan green is to pour it into a condiment shaker the small one with the fine sieve on top with screw lid and you dont need to handle it at all. I also mix it into the soil  not under the bulbs.Betty Clark     
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 01:49:46 PM by Maggi Young »

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 07:16:34 PM »
Betty,

After reading your posting I immediately had a mental picture of someone sprinkling SuSCon Green on their dinner. What does it taste like?

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
I doubt if Betty knows the answer to that Paddy and neither do I but I'll ask the next (dead) vine weevil grub I see. The salt shaker idea is an excellent one, which I'll put to use immediately. The instructions say not to apply to the surface of the pot (ground) but to mix it in and I mix some into my potting mix itself before potting, or I mix a little into the soil when planting. But I also sprinke a little onto the surface which the bases of the bulb will touch (and where the roots will form), in cases where the plants are particularly susceptible to the varmints concerned. Especially to Narcissus, Galanthus, all Saxifragaceae and Primulaceae, all of which suffer badly from either Narcissus fly or vine weevil. SuSCon Green is apparently not lethal for earthworms (according to the manufacturers) or I wouldn't be using it

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »
It's not available to amateurs in the UK-maybe another EU ban. It would be interesting to know if friends in other parts of Europe are able to use it?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal