We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....  (Read 316140 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....
« Reply #465 on: September 23, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »
Ian - its just struck me that you need several gardens in different parts of the country to grow all the plants you want to grow! The peat bed looks great, and just the thing when we cut down an old conifer hedge on the shady side of the garden to give a new planting area - what chance of growing petiolarid primulas and shortias(?); David Sampson used to grow these very well. I might be better off visiting Scotland!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #466 on: September 24, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »
Hello Cliff, we would be delighted to see you here in Kirriemuir maybe best to think about it in spring when plants are growing hard frost just now. Tim yes it would be great to have several gardens but it would take all my spare time (do not have any) but you are also welcome to visit. Chris I doubt if I will get a rest at the SRGC D.W as I am building another garden at the Hotel which will be interestin hope you might be around will probably need some help,   cheers Ian.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

angie

« Reply #467 on: September 24, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »
Hey Ian that looks great  8), can't wait to see it. See you both at the weekend.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Leiomerus

• on the rocks ....
    • Rots en plant
« Reply #468 on: October 11, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »
This is my new, small crevice garden, but nevertheless composed of a lot of stone. It is mainly a slope towards the south east, because I want the plants to profit from as much sunshine as possible. It is built next to my house, so it gets shade from noon till the sun gets up next morning. This is a very good place for Saxifrages and some little plants have already found a home in this crevice garden. 8)
Greetings from Leiomerus from Belgium - In the world of the abnormals, the normals are abnormal, which is normal.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #469 on: October 11, 2012, 03:22:53 PM »
That looks wonderful.  Must figure out a way to do one of these myself....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #470 on: October 12, 2012, 09:17:07 AM »
Hello, your new crevice looks very natural I look forward to seeing it again once the plants grow, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Leiomerus

• on the rocks ....
    • Rots en plant
« Reply #471 on: October 23, 2012, 07:03:28 PM »
Thanks for your apprecitation !

This crevice garden is made with different stones, which came from an old rock garden that I dismantled . Some stones are a bit flat, others are little rocks with various shapes and even cobblestones were used. I don't know if 'cobblestone' is the right word, I mean stones that were used to build roads.
I also took some rocks and a big hammer and I smashed the rocks into smaller pieces. These small pieces were used for topdressing. I wanted  the whole thing to look a bit like a scree.

I will surely post some pictures when the plants get bigger. I'm sure they love this spot, not only for being surrounded by rocks, but also because there is always a lot of wind here, next to the house, since I live in the country with a lot of open land. :D
Greetings from Leiomerus from Belgium - In the world of the abnormals, the normals are abnormal, which is normal.

Leiomerus

• on the rocks ....
    • Rots en plant
« Reply #472 on: December 04, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
I have changed my new crevice garden a little bit. Now I have the disposal at some new stones, I replaced the rocks of which I thought they didn't fit, with better ones, so that the overall colour would be better.
The pictures taken, are of the rock garden in a wet condition, so you see very well the different colours of the stones.
I also added a new, lower construction next to the stairs. This I couldn't do the last time, because of some 'irrigation work' I had to do.

This slope is mainly planted with little plants of Saxifrages, the plants I love the most. ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #473 on: December 04, 2012, 09:17:40 PM »
What a wonderfully natural home for saxifrages and the like. They will surely love the rocky places with tiny crevices and perfect drainage. And all this frim such a very young Forumist too. ;D

I have thought of getting a truckload of mixed size scree-like material and simply dumping it, planting where the material falls. Wonder how that would work?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Leiomerus

• on the rocks ....
    • Rots en plant
« Reply #474 on: December 04, 2012, 10:02:49 PM »
Thanks Lesley.
I don't think your idea would really work, it would be a nice scree, but the plants would not survive. They don't need much, but still they do need a little bit of growing medium like a good draining soil.  ;)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #475 on: December 04, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »
You are probably right Leiomurus. I seem to remember a few years back a Norwegian Forumist (can't remember his name and we haven't heard from him for some time) had done just that very successfully but he'd had the material tipped at the top of a slope and much of it fell down, in a natural way. When the plants were inserted I expect they rooted though the scree which wouldn't have been too thick, to the soil underneath. I'm sure Primula bella was growing and flowering nicely.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #476 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »
Lesley, that was Geir Moen.... (gmoen)- who hasn't been round for a couple of months....  some pix here :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=474.msg12054#msg12054
but I think the photos of the beginning part  of his remarkable scree was in the old forum, now lost..... :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #477 on: December 05, 2012, 03:44:32 AM »
You're right as always Maggi and thanks for the link. It gives an excellent idea of what plants are suitable for such places. Geir is a really good grower though, which helps.

As a matter of fact I remembered his name at lunchtime as I stood in a supermarket queue though I can't imagine what brought it to mind. I said the name out loud and got some very old-fashioned looks from those in front of me. Used to that nowadays.

David, your nice Dianthus is very like one which appeared here in a batch of seedlings from D. a. 'Joan's Blood.' All were true except one which was taller and a little smaller in flower and I think must have been pollinated by the nearby D. deltoides 'Steriker.' It is proving to be a very good plant with the same dark reddish green foliage and flowers of a hot magenta, going on for ages but has set no seeds. I'm doing cuttings from it.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #478 on: December 05, 2012, 10:49:50 AM »
The great thing about plants is that they can tolerate a remarkable range of conditions. Some friends made a very crude scree using broken bricks and anything else available (sounds a bit like one of the constructions that Farrer railed against), but then filling in with sand and woodashes etc. A lot of plants have established in it, but not anything really choice. There is a great Volume of the AGS Bulletin (no. 2, 1933) almost totally devoted to screes with some pictures of the Botanics at Edinburgh and Branklyn in Perthshire, which both had amazing plants growing in them. Alan Furness' garden (simplistically) is almost like Lesley's description of piling a whole variety of different sized stones and rocks all together but done with great panache and skill - and can there be a better alpine garden in the UK? And then Robin and Sue White have simply planted in 4 or 5 inches of gravel over the soil (see an entry I have made on the AGS website). Alpine gardening is so much easier than people think, ha ha! Beyond that though it does become a real art form, which the crevice gardens can show, a little like the early days of the AGS when using rocks was as important as (or more than) the plants. Jiri's pictures of crevice gardens show that rather beautifully. (I should say I have a long way to go to emulate any of this!).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

astragalus

« Reply #479 on: December 05, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »
Lesley, I don't think your idea is far off the mark at all.  I'd just add another step.  After you dump your mixed rock, throw shovels of mixed sharp sand and soil over everything and let the rains wash it down.  If you're in a really dry area you would have to use a hard spray from a hose to make rain.  You could do it in stages until you reached the consistency you want.  I think it could work well and it would certainly be simple.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal