We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica - Leberblümchen 2023  (Read 10778 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Hepatica - Leberblümchen 2023
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2023, 08:51:31 AM »
Kris, your transsilvanica is amazing. Mine are in quite shady spot and they bloom much less.

Gabriela, it is nice to see that H.japonica have survived in the ground in your garden. It is much easier if they do, and  at least for me they are difficult to overwinter in pots, because they tend to come up already in February/March in the cellar and I don't have a light cool place for them.
Multipetal nobilis looks also good, I like multipetal ones. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2023, 08:19:52 PM »
Kris and Gabriela great Hepatica's!
Kris, I wonder how was your last summer? I think here, the dry summers are the reason for less flowers. 

Herman: Hepatica flowering has certainly been affected by the previous drought years, but in the garden I watered a lot, especially certain locations, including the one with H. transsilvanica.
Another reason for non flowering might be that they are a bit too crowded by other plants (I speculate). As soon as the rains stopped I will move them, and will see next year the result.

Leena - is for the same reason I am planting all the potted Hepaticas all in the ground.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2023, 08:23:29 PM »
Rainy days, time to arrange pictures. Few and probably the last Hepatica americana flowers from the woods, captured in a rare sunny & warm enough day for the flowers to open. I only had my cell so not very artistic images.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

kris

« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2023, 09:38:58 PM »
Thank you Leena,Herman and Gabriel for your kind comments.
Herman we had a normal rainfall last year. When there is no rain the garden gets watered every week.
Gabriela  I fertilise my hepaticas too. Either with slow release or with high enough phosphorus and potassium. I also find the fertileser makes difference in flower count.

Gabriela your native hepaticas are really breathtaking. Thanks to you for the wonderful seeds. Some of them are starting to develop buds now.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

kris

« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2023, 09:51:32 PM »
Two more Hepaticas .
Hepatica millstream merlin lost one precious flower thanks to birds. I am baffled by the fact that why they always ruin the most precious ones.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

MarcR

« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2023, 09:59:47 AM »
Kris, your transsilvanica is amazing. Mine are in quite shady spot and they bloom much less.

Gabriela, it is nice to see that H.japonica have survived in the ground in your garden. It is much easier if they do, and  at least for me they are difficult to overwinter in pots, because they tend to come up already in February/March in the cellar and I don't have a light cool place for them.
Multipetal nobilis looks also good, I like multipetal ones. :)
Leena,

Generic LED growlights are very inexpensive and work almost as well as the expensive Brand name lights. If you suspend them 13-18 cm (6-8 inches) above your plants they should emulate  filtered sunlight.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

MarcR

« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2023, 10:03:57 AM »
Gabriella and Kriss,

Beautiful Blooms!
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Starking007

« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2023, 04:09:42 PM »
Lots of nice things!!!!

kris

« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2023, 03:52:52 AM »
The Hepatica season is late here but most of them have started forming buds.
The Hepatica nobilis "Bergfexing" seeds I got from a kind gardener from SRG have made all sorts of different flowers. They are robust and produce lots of flowers. Some are maiden and some are double with anthers and some are single. Right now 2 of them are flowering which are single but different colours. They are 2 year old seedlings but the flowers are larger in size.Others are just in bud.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

kris

« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2023, 03:54:39 AM »
here is Hepatica multipetala "Walter" -thanks Gabriela
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2023, 07:17:54 AM »
Kris, always a lot of beautiful flowers! You have a great Hepatica season.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2023, 04:02:56 PM »
Wonderful blooms!
Kris, your pinkish transsilvanica is really nice.
Gabriela, I especially like the second two tones americana. I'm glad your rain stopped so you could go to the forest. :)

Here April has been very dry, only one day of rain (13mm), but last night and all day today it has rained (25mm so far), so I had to be inside. The result: Hepatica pictures. :)
Hepatica season was short this year, mid April was too warm so everything started and went by fast. In more shady places there are still flowers though.
These pictures were mostly taken around April 20th.

Hepatica nobilis. Bicolour and multipetal ones are from around here, and I got the purple one from a friend who has found it also here. Second purple one is a self sown seedling, I think it is nobilis, but how can you tell nobilis and japonica apart?

Leena

« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2023, 04:06:06 PM »
More H.nobilis.
The third is very dark blue, and fourth very light blue. The light blue one was grown from Dryad seeds with double genes, but it is nice by itself, too.
Last picture is a maiden H.nobilis found here.

Leena

« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2023, 04:09:35 PM »
First picture is pink H.nobilis with Corydalis caucasica 'Borodino'
H.nobilis 'Selma'
Blue and fading pink H.nobilis
Bicolour H.nobilis
Ex 'Bavarian Blue'

Leena

« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2023, 04:11:05 PM »
Hepatica americana, these are a bit later here, and some are still in bud.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal