We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Galanthus / Re: Galanthus March 2024
« Last post by Alan_b on Today at 11:03:30 AM »
Will the yellow convert to green as temps rise?
Exposure to daylight is what does it.
Bulbs General / Re: Erythronium 2024
« Last post by Herman Mylemans on Today at 09:04:45 AM »
Thank you Robert! It is always interesting to know more about the history of a plant.
Primula / Rumbling Bridge nursery
« Last post by Lawrence on Today at 06:07:23 AM »
Does anyone know if another nursery took any remaining stock from Rumbling Bridge nursery when they retired, particularly their collection of Primulas?
Many thanks
« Last post by Robert on March 27, 2024, 11:56:00 PM »
I thought that some of the Forumists might enjoy some background information regarding the ‘Cliftonii’ form of Erythronium multiscapideum.

My guess is most, if not all, Erythronium multiscapideum ‘Cliftonii’ in Europe are derived from genetic material collected at the Pulga Bridge site on the North Fork of the Feather River in Butte County, California. Wayne Roderick was responsible for introducing the Pulga Bridge population to a number of botanists and other well-respected plant people.

The ‘Cliftonii’ form of Erythronium multiscapideum might also be considered an ecotype. Based on my field studies of Erythronium multiscapideum, it appears that the elements of the basic ‘Cliftonii’ genotype exist throughout the complete population of this species in California: The Pulga Bridge site is not the only location where this ecotype can be found. There are other populations located at some distance, but still in the general vicinity, to the Pulga Bridge site where this ecotype is found. In addition, ‘Cliftonii’ type plants occasionally appear in populations far removed from the Pulga Bridge site. These wayward plants are frequently misidentified as another species of Erythronium or a new species. Plotting the populations of ‘Cliftonii’ type plants could take the appearance of a histogram with outlier individuals far removed from the central core population sites in Butte County.  Environmental factors may also partly account for some facets of the ‘Cliftonii’ phenotype. To date, all the populations of Erythronium multiscapideum ‘Cliftonii’ that I am aware of are found on serpentine based soils, including the wayward individual plants.

When wild populations of Erythronium multiscapideum are examined carefully, it becomes apparent that the species expresses diverse sets of many phenotypes, some of which may be of significant horticultural value. In addition, there is some evidence that high elevation forms of Erythronium multiscapideum in its northern range may have hybridized with Erythronium purpurescens sometime in the distant past and have now formed stable populations. It is all very fascinating. A great deal of additional research needs to be done.
« Last post by Jeffnz on March 27, 2024, 10:58:25 PM »
Will the yellow convert to green as temps rise?
« Last post by Claire Cockcroft on March 27, 2024, 10:04:40 PM »
Yours are ahead of most of mine!  Nice pictures.
...Claire
Bulbs General / Re: Trillium 2024
« Last post by Claire Cockcroft on March 27, 2024, 10:03:23 PM »
I'd be happy to take follow-up pictures.
...Claire
« Last post by Stefan B. on March 27, 2024, 07:38:02 PM »
How nice Leena, all your snowflakes are blonde.  8)
Blogs and Diaries / Re: Plants, Ecosystems, Climate - Northern California 2024
« Last post by Robert on March 27, 2024, 06:34:30 PM »

Traveling down the ravine toward Camp Creek I found large colonies of the annual Claytonia parviflora ssp. grandiflora.

Near Camp Creek there is an exposed rocky slope. This site is a natural rock garden. Later in the spring it will explode with color as many native annual, perennial, and bulbous species come into bloom. This site is an example of how many California native annual species are very effective and natural rock garden plants.

During snowmelt many seasonal streams flow down into Camp Creek, in this case creating a beautiful waterfall.

Camp Creek was flowing high but well below flood levels.

At a later date I will have a comprehensive report on this area that is inclusive of a greater portion of this region, over all seasons, and with details of many of the native plant species found in this area.
Blogs and Diaries / Re: Plants, Ecosystems, Climate - Northern California 2024
« Last post by Robert on March 27, 2024, 06:31:14 PM »

I arrived on a cold and very windy morning at the Camp Creek trailhead in Eldorado National Forest. The trailhead is situated at an elevation of ~ 3,800 feet (1,158 meters) on the northern ridge above Camp Creek within the Lower Transition Life Zone of California. The snow had recently melted at this elevation and snow could still be seen on the ridges only a short distance above this site.

The 2021 Caldor Fire burned through this area. Extensive salvage logging and wildfire prevention measures are still in process at this site. Pictured above is a site that was once a small meadow. All the trees have been removed from the vicinity of the meadow with slash and debris pilled where the meadow was once located. This type of management is not conducive to the recovery of the meadow ecosystem. Sadly, forest managers are caught in a no win situation where no matter what they do somebody is going to be unhappy and critical of their actions.

A great deal of the native shrubby undergrowth in the surrounding forestland along the trail down to Camp Creek had resprouted from their basal crowns after the Caldor Fire. Forest crews had recently used heavy machinery to chip and remove all the new shrubby growth and in the process had churned the soil, destroying most of the native perennial species the process. In this bare mineral soil many invasive annual grasses were sprouting, which will quickly create a wildfire hazard much greater than that created by the resprouted native shrubbery.

Pictured above is one of the few stands of Bear Clover, Chamaebatia foliolosa, which was left intact. Bear Clover is a native perennial species, which is highly fire retardant. It is nearly impossible to get this species to ignite and burn.

As I descended into the Camp Creek canyon and the slopes became too steep for machinery and hand crews to safely and effectively work, the native undergrowth remained intact. Here I found the early spring blooming Cardamine californica in flowering.

Cardamine californica can range in color from pure white to shades of pink. White is the most frequently seen flower color of this species.

Down in a ravine where a perennial stream flows to Camp Creek I found a stand of Vaccinium parvifolium. This deciduous species was still dormant. I find the green stems of this species very attractive. Later in the spring white urn-shaped flowers will appear on bare branches followed by bright red fruit in the autumn.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal