We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 48 2011  (Read 1180 times)

wooden shoe

Bulb Log 48 2011
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:16:55 PM »
I'm very happy that you decide to continue the Bulb Log. I enjoy the logs every week.
And there's no problem at all that there might be a repeating cyclus in it. In fact I was already looking forward for the Hoop Petticoats and here it is  :D

In the International Rock Gardener you mentioned that the Hoop Petticoat's would do fine in an unheated greenhouse. They could stand quite low temperatures if they are relatively dry. Do you have any idea till what temperature they could stand up. I live a bit further from the coast in the Netherlands and it might be a bit too cold for some species here.
Still I enjoy the flowers very much in a season there's not much growth at all. If you know what species/cultivars can be successfull in these conditions I would be gratefull.

Rob
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Bulb Log 48 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »
Rob, all my little daffs in pots in the greenhouse were frozen solid for over a week earlier this year and seem to have survived.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
I lost quite a lot of my hoop petticoats in pots last winter - the ones in the open garden did fine !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:42:30 PM »
Rob
I had few total losses among these Narcissus last winter which was very long and cold. Many had minimum protection in the form of a soil warming cable - see recent bulb logs- which could only moderate the freezing not eliminate it. Quite a number of pots were unprotected din this way just under cold glass.
If you can arrange a glasshouse with a deep sand bed to plunge the pots in I suspect that most of those I show in that article would survive and flower.
One of the best to try is the one that David showed recently on the forum Narcissus romieuxii mesatlanticus - it has survived here under cold glass conditions for well over thirty years.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 01:06:10 AM »
Ian, those of us who are starting (again) from scratch, as well as the seasoned campaigners, can gain inspiration and stroll around your garden and glass houses, even if it is virtual realty, if not virtual reality.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Tony Lee

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »
Ian,I would also like to record my thanks to you for the time and thought you put into the Bulb Log,
Pleased you are going to carry on,regarding repeating yourself i find it hard to remember what happened last week never mind last year,cheersTony.   

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:20:17 PM »
Ian, I have no problem at all with repetition either.  Particularly as you usually add some comments about what you have learned since last year, or you have a different slant on your comments or have a new question to ask.  Do please carry on repeating yourself !
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:15:08 AM »
Ian, I have no problem at all with repetition either.  Particularly as you usually add some comments about what you have learned since last year, or you have a different slant on your comments or have a new question to ask.  Do please carry on repeating yourself !
You can say that again.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal