We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 22/08/07  (Read 5107 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Bulb Log 22/08/07
« on: August 23, 2007, 11:06:15 AM »
Ian,

Fascinating log as always.  I particularly liked the Crocus scharojanii flavus.  Never come across a Crocus like that before, with the accuminate tips.  Lovely soft colour to it as well.  Very nice!!

Your comment about the Tropaeolum azureum is interesting..... my T. tricolor in the garden skipped last year completely, and is up again this year.  I checked and there were numerous bulbs, one of which was 2 inches wide, but none shot at all.  Those in the pots did just fine, but not in the ground.  As I said, shooting fine this year but not sure what I did wrong, or else it just decided it wanted a year off to rest!  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Bulb Log 22/08/07
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 11:18:28 AM »
Paul, Crocus vallicola has the acuminate tips, too, VERY PRETTY! Ian's favourite crocus !
I think your Trpo. tricolorum was just too dry at the point when it felt like growing and, if that happens, they just shut down for a year...can be longer if the fancy takes them.. we have had Trop. azureum youngsters go dormant and sit for two or three years before deigning to regrow! Very worrying :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:27:24 AM »
Maggi,

I have never grown T. azureum myself as yet but one day I'll find it available somewhere.  Love the pics I have seen of it.  I grow T. brachycerus (can't remember if that is the right spelling or not... small yellow flowers) which comes and goes but rarely flowers.  I find it so much more touchy than tricolor, so I don't repot it, hence it doesn't get much space and/or food so it doesn't do much.  I'll have to bite the bullet this year and repot it anyway or it isn't worthwhile growing the darn thing!! LOL
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »
A note about the photo of Tropaeolum azureum tubers.... Ian states  "the one the left is from the original P&W collection of 1989"... what he means, is, "the one on the RIGHT" etc etc!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 11:47:58 AM »
Maggi,

What, are you sitting there hovering and waiting for people to post?  You are definitely quick on the responses tonight.

Tell Ian he isn't alone with the right and left thing.  My wife is absolutely DREADFUL with that.  At least she usually points it as well, which gives me some idea when her "left" actually isnt etc..... particularly helpful when driving of course!!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:48:39 PM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 12:25:22 PM »
For me, Paul, it's lunchtime, not night  ;)
Just catching up on the usual drifts of SRGC "Stuff"... all email to SRGC comes to us for action or sorting, as well as the Forum "business", so things are pretty busy around here on the SRGC E- fornt, so to speak... I might be here at any time of day or night ... be afraid, be very afraid.... :P  ;D

The Bulb Despot is dyslexic but doesn't usually have too much bother with left/right orientation and he never has problems with figures, only letters.
Tell Yvonne that my advice to her is NEVER evince any opinion about right, left, forward or back when in a car with you! That's my policy with Ian... it's safer ( for me) that way!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 12:51:21 PM »
Maggi,

Yeah, I realise it is day over there.... you're about 9 hours behind us.  Most of the world is behind us!!  We're  (almost) leading the way!!

It was still a pretty quick response from you both times, so worth a comment.  Approaching 10pm here at the moment so off for my beauty sleep before too long.  Oh boy, is THAT overdue!!  ;D  Shame it doesn't work.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 11:57:30 PM »
Oh no you're not Paul >:(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 12:10:09 AM »
Lesley,

And you NZers are the reason I put in the (almost)!!  ;D  I knew that if I didn't there'd be hell to pay when you read it!!!!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »
Most of the world is behind us!!

Dear Paul,

While you are taking a bit of stick, I would like to take you up on the above comment.

As time is measured from the UK, you are actually in front of us, not we behind you, so the correct phrase would be 'We are in front of most of the world.'

Thank you for your co-operation.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 12:10:24 AM »
You tell him, Andrew... colonial upstarts!  :P

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 08:31:19 AM »
Yes, but by definitions of "in front" then all others are therefore "behind".... so you're all behind us!!  ;D

Colonial upstart???..... Darn tootin' I is!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal