We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: bulb log 7/11  (Read 1073 times)

John85

bulb log 7/11
« on: March 03, 2011, 08:52:59 AM »
If you had a lot of damage this winter due to the frost in an unheated greenhouse this may be a cheap solution(Bob Flowerdew style).
I use an old freezer.The horizontal type is the easiest.Take off the lid/door en replace it with a piece of transparent  polycarbonate.To improve insulation add a 4'' polysterene on top from dusk to dawn.
I raised the "floor" to the level of the motor compartement using old planks then put a layer of sand a 100w heating cable and again a layer of sand.Connect the cable to a thermostat set on two degrees and you have a frost free place for very little money and very cheap to run.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: bulb log 7/11
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:18:01 PM »
This sounds like a great idea John and with a little adapation and slightly higher temperature, it could be used as a heated frame for cuttings surely? Un fortunately I don't see how I could adapt anold washing maching. We have two of those to which Roger seems to have some sentimental attachment.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

John85

Re: bulb log 7/11
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:11:54 AM »
Lesley
The only part of a washing machine that you can use easily in the garden is the bowlshaped glass in the front.It makes a small but very strong cloche that isn't blown away even when it is very windy.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal