We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 21.3.07  (Read 3069 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Bulb Log 21.3.07
« on: March 21, 2007, 05:28:27 PM »
Ian, re. the corydalis solida seedlings, I'd also go for them being incisa. With those large, deeply divided bracts, they look right. The white one is a real beauty. And so is that widely fringed-trumpet Narc. cyclamineus. If it proves to be a good grower, I'd say it's one worthy of a cultivar name (and I don't say that very often).

http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2007/210307/log.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:31:47 PM by Maggi Young »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb Log 21.3.07
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 06:15:39 PM »
Thanks for helping to confirm my ID of the Corydalis Martin. I am always anoyed when I loose a label from a pot because I keep a lot of informationon the label such as the source of the seed etc. I am pretty sure that this must have been from our garden seed collected from C.incisa possibly alba.
The trouble with trying to name cyclamineus forms is that in my experience they do not increase at any rate so it would be  slow to build up any numbers. It is great fun going around them all looking for the forms that appeal to my taste, sounds like I have yellow fever ;)
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Bulb Log 21.3.07
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 06:28:51 PM »
Ian, I should think the seed most likely was from a white form of incisa (and a good one) to throw a good clean white seedling like that so readily - a good white like that would already have to be already fairly dominant in the genetic makeup of the parent, I would think.

I agree about the reluctance of N. cyclamineus to increase by bulb division, which is why I added the proviso if it's a good grower, by which I really meant a health plant and a good increaser. That's the problem with a lot of named snowdrops; many are not strong growers or increasers. Still, even if the cyclamineus isn't a natural increaser, you could always summon up the courage to chip it. In the long run chipping can actually bulk up a good bulb much faster than division. Although I know it's gratifying if your bulbs clump up fast all on their own. Let's hope it makes a good fat bulb that'll at least chip easily. It really is distinctive.

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal