We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2009  (Read 142505 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cyclamen 2009
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 04:27:40 PM »
Nice to see it's stopped raining in Aberdeen Maggi, you've taken your waterproof off! :o :o ;D
Not really, Shelagh, it's  just rotted with all the water..... I'll mend it though  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 01:52:53 PM »
A couple of cyclamen out today. The first is a late flowering Cyclamen cyprium
 and the second the first of my Cyclamen alpinum.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 04:02:05 PM »
Tony in order to compare your C alpinum with my X, what size pot is yours in?
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »
Shelagh  its in a 5 inch diameter pot and has been since 2000 without being repotted or fed, just regular Provado to keep the vine weevils at bay. Your hybrid is lovely.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 05:13:20 PM »
Not sure if this is the correct place to put these pictures, but the Cyclamen have certainly been brightening up our porch during this bitter weather.  They don't usually reside there but in the greenhouse or frame but Brian thought they needed some TLC whilst it was freezing solid every night.

The first pictures are of Cyclamen persicum, a few years old this one and it has flowered before.  The second is Cyclamen elegans x alpinum, this is the first time it has flowered it was sown 2006.  It's flower only one so far but more to come, is just 1cm long and across.  Both plants come from Cyclamen Society seed.

Hi Shelagh,

what are the leaves like on your elegans x alpinum ?  and did you get the seed of this cross from the cyc soc seed exchange ?

Jo

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »
Cyclamen purpurascens, a bit out of season but bringing with it some wonderful bulb seed 8)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gerry Webster

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 11:03:27 PM »
I've been looking for seed of these for years.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 11:06:20 PM »
By, jove, that's an old catalogue you're using there, Gerry! ;)  Are you sure they're still in business?  ::)

Gerry Webster

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 11:09:19 PM »
By, jove, that's an old catalogue you're using there, Gerry! ;)  Are you sure they're still in business?  ::)
I've tried emailing, but no response so far.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:11:50 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 11:16:48 PM »

;D ;D ;D

I have to say, I think they are using highly doctored photos in that catalogue , so even if you made contact, I think it would end in tears when the plants didn't look like the pictures......... ::) ;)
 I had the same heartbreak over a blue rose.....

Gerry Webster

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 11:25:43 PM »

;D ;D ;D

I have to say, I think they are using highly doctored photos in that catalogue , so even if you made contact, I think it would end in tears when the plants didn't look like the pictures......... ::) ;)
 I had the same heartbreak over a blue rose.....
Stop destroying my illusions Maggi - I always trust nursery catalogues.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 01:47:24 PM »
Hi Jo, sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. The leaves are beautifully marked and very compact and 2 more flowers have come out.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »
Shelagh, the leaves are really beautiful aren't they, is it the first time its flowered for you ?  Did it take long to flower from seed sowing ?

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 04:16:32 PM »
Jo it was sown 8.1.06 and these are the first flowers and the seed came direct from the Cyclamen Society.  They have a very good seed exchange.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

Roma

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
I've been attending digital photography classes provided by Aberdeen College.  On Thursday we had a 'field trip' to the Duthie Park winter gardens.  It was very wet and windy so we were glad to be inside.  The Cyclamen persicum hybrids are not alpines but they were very colourful.  The ones bedded out aren't too bad but those on the benches were a bit boring.  It's a long time since I'd been to the park but I seem to remember big zonal geraniums trained on the wall at the back of the long corridor.  I suppose it is easier to grow large quantities of one plant and change the whole display at once rather than having a mixed display of plants.
The first pictures are the bedded out plants followed by the large flowered hyrids in the long corridor at the back of the greenhouses.
These are followed by smaller flowered hybrids in a corridor leading back to the main greenhouses.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal