We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: TROUGHS  (Read 36862 times)

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
TROUGHS
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »

In Bulb Log 38 http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/170908/log.html I show a method of making Troughs using cement, sand and a fish box - it is a new slant on an old method.

Over the coming weeks I will post a whole series of extra pictures, many taken at workshops, of the making process.

I will also cover planting the troughs and follow up pictures of the troughs progress as the plants establish.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:38:49 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: TROUGHS
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:18:35 PM »
Beauty Ian...can't wait to see more.

Given the small amount of soil that is likely to be present in the pictured trough, what are you planting in it (can't make them out) and are you planning a little bit more regular watering?
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »
Given the small amount of soil that is likely to be present in the pictured trough, what are you planting in it (can't make them out) and are you planning a little bit more regular watering?
All will be revealed in future logs, Carlo.... keep watching!! ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 01:51:22 PM »
Wouldn't miss it. This is a topic of particular interest to me...

...and the initial photo shows a beauty. I keep trying to get people here to LANDSCAPE their troughs--build UP...and yet they continue to treat them like pots.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, Ian.

As our gardens get smaller, troughs more and more seem to be the future of rock gardening for some of us. I have a small section of garden which I want to develop as a trough yard or trough garden so-to-speak.
I live in an area where exposed rock is not a part of the natural, local topography. Rock gardens built in any of the "heaps of rock" styles stick out like a sore thumb and are very difficult to integrate into small gardens. Those with a lot of space can tuck them around the corner where they are not too obtrusive, but on a small place I find them about as attractive as a junk vehicle parked on the lawn.

But to my eyes a handsomely arrayed selection of troughs is another matter entirely. Troughs are so inviting and approachable: I'm really itching to build a small sitting area cozily embraced by troughs, troughs built in a variety of sizes,  using a variety of materials, showing varied textures and surfaces and displaying a carefully considered suite of beautiful and interesting plants.

So I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Thank you, Ian.
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 07:07:09 PM »
I shall read with avid interest. My attempts at making troughs, so far, have been an abject failure. Am I the only one who was at the back of the queue when DIY skills were being handed out? :-[
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lars S

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 07:41:32 PM »
That looks beatiful ! It gives hope for my too-shallow-trough  ::)

Lars
Stockholm/Sweden
Lars in Stockholm
USDA-zone 6 or there about

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »
Lars, you will soon  see that Ian has made some very shallow troughs.....hope this will be of use toyou!

Lars S

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 09:05:10 PM »
Yes Maggi, I am sure it will be of great use.

One thing I did wonder a little about though, was the soil in the trough that was displayed in the Bulb log. Is it correct that Ian used only sharp sand ? It seems to me that it would take a lot of watering in the summer  ??? 

Lars
Lars in Stockholm
USDA-zone 6 or there about

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 09:14:04 PM »
Lars, the theory is that watering will be provided mostly by condensation  in the crevices ....I am sure Ian will explain more in coming logs.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 05:37:50 AM »
Those who can't find fish boxes could use styrofoam grape boxes - it is
grape season now, so they are easy to get from supermarkets.  They
already have holes in them.

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 09:19:11 AM »
Thanks for all the interest in the troughs - it is a wonderful way to grow plants.

I should add that the very small and shallow troughs that are planted up were free form troughs made using some left over cement mix and being quite light they are easy to carry to workshops - they will require more frequent watering.

I will post a number of pictures taken at the workshop at the Scottish Plant Explorers Garden in Pitlochry showing me demonstarting the method, most of which are self explanatory if you have read the bulb log.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 09:37:40 AM »
85167-0
Having finished the base positioned the box and covered the bottom I now start to build up the sides.

85169-1
Many hands make light work as I invited people to come up and have a go, I was almost knocked over by the rush of hands.

85171-2
It is important to take care at this stage to ensure that all the cement mix is bonding well and make it nice and lumpy to look like it is carved from a lump of stone.

85173-3
Once I am happy with he outside I remove any excess thickness from the inside walls. I often use the excess to further add realistic lumps and bumps to the outside.

85175-4
I had prepared two troughs the day before the workshop so I could demonstrate the next stages but I made my mixture slightly too wet - I had not realised the Pitlochry water was wetter than ours ;) Because the mix was that bit too wet in a couple of places it slid down leaving cracks.

85177-5
This turned out to be a good thing for the workshop and I could almost have claimed to have done it on purpose to show that it is not a problem. Smply clean out the crack digging into the polystyrene if it is showing and fill it back up with the same mortar mix.

85179-6
This is where the crack was.

85181-7
Another small crack near a corner.

85183-8
Is soon repaired.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 09:44:42 AM »
It seems to me that part of the battle is to get the rocks looking right before planting. In yours Ian I detect the mind and vision of the artist. Mine always look like a three year olds attempt to re-create Stonehenge.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 09:47:24 AM »
I know the feeling David...  ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal