Bulbs > Galanthus

Chipping/Twin-scaling type question

<< < (2/45) > >>

Paul T:
Thanks for the responses.  Otto, you're right it would probably be worthwhile talking to him.  I just don't like to disturb people, particularly as I know that Marcus would be busy at the moment with the recent catalogue etc.

Hagen Engelmann:
Galanthophiles, Maggi,
we have such a good forum and a topic about twinscaling without pics. It isn`t the time for twinscaling but itīs the time of long and dark evenings. Let us accumulate this topic with good shots and pics. Here are two of my first twinscaling efforts. The first result is wellknown. But Brian and Chris told me the chance of getting bulbills also from the head parts of the bulb. Thank you. It was successfully done.

annew:
Just a thought about Martin's suggestions about cutting the tops off the leaves, and off the dormant bulb while chipping. The latter process, as far as I know, is simply to make a flat base to sit the bulb on when you turn it upside down to cut it through the base plate. The tip of the bulb is equivalent to the tips of leaves (the bulb's layers are modified leaves), and trimming bits off leaves will not induce side shoots (=bulblets) to form. You would have to take out the growing point to do this. This is found right down in the centre of the base plate. Similarly, trimming the ends off leaves of a growing plant will not induce bulbil formation, any more than cutting in half the leaves of, say, a rhododendron will induce sideshoot formation, again the leading shoot would have to be removed.
I hope this is correct! Maybe a professional botanist can enlighten us. :-\

annew:
Just another tip - use plastic boxes (eg cream cheese or margarine tubs) instead of bags for incubating the chips. They can be stacked up easily and still retain good air spaces inside them. Martin's tip about the dryish vermiculite is important, too wet and it leads to disaster. I use 1 part by volume cool boiled water to 10 parts dry medium vermiculite.

Paddy Tobin:
How did I miss this posting by Paul back in July? But I am glad to see it resurrected again by Hagen and to see his success with twin scaling. My  own story with twin scaling is that the scales produced bulbils but that when planted in the garden they did not seem to bulk up as quickly as bulbs left to their natural devices.

Finally, Paul, how exactly are you going to get under the snowdrop bulbs to do this proposed basal splitting. Would it be of any use if I started tunnelling down from the Northern Hemisphere to do the job for you.

Sorry for having fun Paul. The idea struck me as a very funny picture, you under the bulbs to cut the basal plate.

Paddy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version