We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bone meal  (Read 6401 times)

Chris Gill

Bone meal
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:32:47 AM »
The availability of Bonemeal in New Zealand is virtually non existant. Could members advise of a substitute when growing bulbs in containers and for incorporating in seed mixes.
Cheers
Chris

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Bone meal
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:24:28 AM »
Hello, Chris, welcome to the Forum !
 I do not doubt that some of our NZ members will soon be online with their suggestions for you  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »
Hi Chris, A warm welcom to the Forum from me too, and no doubt from other NZers. There aren't enough of us, even outnumbered by the Aussies!

As for a sub for bonemeal, there's nothing specific that I've been able to find so I usually resort to branded name "Bulb Food" packages, usually from a kilo up to 5 maybe. Look on the pack for some nutritional guidence and if it's low in nitrogen and high is potassium, it shouldn't be too far out and suitable for top-dressing. Oh for the long ago days when it was possible to get bone flour.

The other option (for potting) and a good one, is Osmacote pellets in a low nit, high pot formulation. I use Osmacote Plus (with trace elements) 9 months which is good for at least a year.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:50:18 PM »
Hello Chris

A check today with my local garden centre supplier and i'm informed they can supply bone meal.

Not sure where you live in 'God's own' however the following are their contact details.http://www.diacks.co.nz/

or if that for some reason doesn't work search for Diack Nurseries Invercargill.

Cheers dave.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:55:55 PM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 01:25:56 AM »
Dave, I wish you hadn't put that link. Can you acept delivery of 3 Quercus palustris for me? and bring them next time you're up this way? If not I'll get them to freight them.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:39:43 AM »
Lesley, I buy mine from Red Barn. As far as I am aware, it has always been available there.

Susan.
Dunedin, New Zealand

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 03:22:52 AM »
"Dave, I wish you hadn't put that link."

Lesley ---couldn't help yourself eh!!.

With my open deck ,(truck --not the unbuttoned state of my shirt--It's faaaar too cold for sunbathing---wink), and the size of the plants ,they are probably likely to get pretty battered around even after being placed on their sides .

Diacks have their own covered truck which travels up to CHCH weekly so they should be able to arrange that for a decent price .Greg's the man to speak to there.Mention my name and ask for a discount.

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 05:15:00 AM »
Thanks for that Susan. I've already had a reply from Diack's. Chris's innocent enquiry about bonemeal has cost me a heap of trees!!! :o :o :o

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »
Chris, I am sorry for the delay in answering your query but I have not had too much spare time for the forum this last week.

A good thing because our NZ friends have given you the best answer even though Lesley is out of pocket by a number of trees.

In the absence of bone meal choose the general fertiliser with the lowest nitrogen percentage you can find that is generally enough for the bulbs.

One day I will get round to posting some more of my NZ pictures which cover the last week of field trips.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 09:48:54 PM »
Thanks for your kind offer Chris, but no thank you. I'm currently surrounded by trees waiting to be planted, never mind all the other stuff.

The pin oaks came about because when I looked at Diack's site, recommended by Dave, I found they had a sale of of "bundled" trees so I bought 3 pin oaks, one I've been wanting for years for its fabulous autumn colour.  If you've looked at a few threads here, you'll know we're all really bad at keeping "on topic" as the Trillium-Lers would say - and insist on! >:(

Dave, a truck from Diack's stopped off here last Sunday morning at 6am (fortunately it only woke Roger and the dog. I slept on) and left a large sample pack of bone dust (according to the label) on the door step.

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 02:04:44 PM »
Does bone meal smell??????
It is also in Hungary rather unavailable, nurseries don't have it, and they say "go to a pet food store". In pet food stores they say: "What is that??? :o". But finally I found a webshop and I bought a 800 g packet. But it smells awful, like stiff. Maybe this is a stupid question, but I thought that because gelatin is extracted from it, it is dried (and maybe sterilised?), it does not smell... Not that I am so sensitive, but I don't want to make any harm to plants, if it is something wrong.
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 02:20:59 PM »
Kata, bone meal smells bad! Some suppliers seem to have a method which smells less bad, but all smell bad! Because of the smell it is important to keep it way from animals, who will want to eat it and dig where it is, if you do not cover it well with soil. :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 02:44:45 PM »
Thanks Maggi. I will sleep well then. ;D
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 04:51:28 PM »
Hi Kathrine,

Wear gloves when handling it  ;)

As far as I know bone meal is unavailable in Ireland and several other EU countries, presumably as a potential vector for BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy).

Ashley
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Chris Gill

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 03:33:37 AM »
Hi Everybody
To all of those who helped with this enquiry, many thanks. At last I have found a source here in Blenheim which looks promising, only time will tell.
Regards
Chris

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal