Seedy Subjects! > Grow From Seed

Cyclamen Seed

(1/6) > >>

David Nicholson:
Through the SRGC Seed Exchange I have seed of Cyclamen africanum, C. rohlfsianum, and  C. graecum album and have been casting around for advice on sowing times, composts etc. There is quite a bit of information on the Cyclamen Society Web Site but some of it is a bit dated and quite frankly I was confused by some of it.

In his Article "Bulbs from Seed" our Bulb Despot talks about seed sowing "windows" but in the context of Frits, Crocus and Narcissus, my question is - is there a "window" for cyclamen and if so I would welome advice as to when it could be? Some articles on the Cyclamen Socitey Web Site argued for keeping newly sown seed in the dark until germination, and I would welcome views on this as well.

Paddy Tobin:
David,

I would not dare presume the experience or expertise of Ian and his like when it comes to seed sowing but I can say that cyclamen have responded to my very simply sowing regime which is the same for all seed - sow it as soon as you get it, put a good layer of grit on top and leave outside to take the winter weather. With cyclamen germination has always been perfectly reliable using this method.

Paddy

Ian Y:
Hi, David, have a look at Bulb Log no. 02, from 11th January 2006 and Bulb Log No. 38 from 20th September 2006, they both deal with cyclamen seed.
Cheers,
Ian

David Shaw:
Again not arguing with Mr Despot, I recieved some Cyclamen from the exchange and they were sown at the weekend. The hardier species go outside and the less hardy in the unheated greenhouse. The seed you list,David, would go in the greenhouse but then the daffodils are not in flower up here yet!

David Nicholson:
Thanks Ian,David and Paddy. I shall take a mix of advice and sow them deep and leave them outside and see what happens. I'm impressed you have already sown your Exchange seed David. Although I am retired, and in theory have all the time in the world, I am always at the last push (maybe I have too much time available and don't do the planning-and then find it's too late!). Stiil, that's life.

Is there any chance in the future of the Bulb Log being made fully searchable Ian?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version