We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lovely Birthday Celebration For Simon Bond  (Read 500 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Lovely Birthday Celebration For Simon Bond
« on: July 10, 2022, 07:49:25 PM »
From Hartside Nursery - Neil Huntley -

"I had a very enjoyable day at Simon Bonds 90'th Birthday bash this week with his family and friends - what a Pavlova! Many keen Alpine Enthusiasts will know Simon from the unusual range of plants he has grown and offered for sale from his Thuja Alpine Nursery in Gloucestershire."

Quite a feat to hit 90 - all the better with that prizewinning pavlova- great way to celebrate Simon Bond's birthday - lost track of all the Thuja Nursery plants we all grow!
 Happy Birthday, Simon!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: Lovely Birthday Celebration For Simon Bond
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 08:18:40 PM »
 Good news from Hartside too, they have a really busy period the next couple of weeks as they tell me they've been honoured to have been asked by the RHS to do the Master Grower Stand at RHS Tatton the week after next, so a huge stand to do.  This comes in the  50th year  this year since Neil and Sue  purchased the land to start the Nursery.

They hope to try and “Showcase” the various specialities they continue to grow and exhibit a wide range of plants, the main display will include a range of the Roscoeas they grow.

Wishing Neil and Sue  all the best with this latest challenge!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Simon Bond, well-known nurseryman, passes away.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 05:57:47 PM »
News has come from Neil Huntley, himself a respected nurseryman, of the passing of Simon Bond, formerly of Thuja Nursery, England.
 Neil writes:
 "I have just heard this afternoon that Simon Bond passed away peacefully at home with his family and carers around him on Sunday evening, 12th February. He was 90 last year and I was delighted to have been invited to his Birthday Party. He was a great plantsman and skilled propagator of many unusual plants including some rare Ericaceous Plants, and a real character - he will be missed around the AGS Show circuit where he has continued to sell his plants up until the last few years.
I wonder if you would be kind enough to put something on the Forum about this. His family are having a private cremation for him but are planning a Celebration of his life around Easter for friends and family.

Kind Regards,

Neil Huntley
Hartside Nursery Garden.

Simon advertised in the SRGC journal for many years and often attended SRGC events.  Our sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal