Bulbs > Ian Young's Bulb Log - Feedback Forum

Bulb Log 2022

<< < (2/26) > >>

Ian Y:
This week's Bulb Log is mostly Snowdrops, some Narcissus, Eranthis, exciting shoots and the Rhododendron gets the chop.

https://www.srgc.net/documents/bulb%20logs/220209110148BULB%20LOG%200622.pdf

Carolyn:
Ian, another interesting bulb log, thank you. A question - you planted out the Galanthus Dryad Gold bulbs singly in the garden. Do you think this gives a faster rate of increase than planting out a small clump of bulbs? I know you often write that bulbs like company.

Ian Y:

--- Quote from: Carolyn on February 12, 2022, 10:42:57 AM ---Ian, another interesting bulb log, thank you. A question - you planted out the Galanthus Dryad Gold bulbs singly in the garden. Do you think this gives a faster rate of increase than planting out a small clump of bulbs? I know you often write that bulbs like company.

--- End quote ---

You are correct Carolyn that is why this is an interesting question and my answer has options.
1. Bulbs in pots like and grow better with close company.
2. Planting out clumps of bulbs will give a bigger clump sooner than those planted singly.
3. I much prefer to see newly planted bulbs  spaced out singly and in random groups to mimic nature and while it is rewarding to see the large clumps I just want to split them up and spread them out but do not always have the time or indeed space to do it.

Carolyn:
Thanks, Ian, that all makes sense. I can happily continue to replant the bulbs in small groups then! I find the fastest way is to make a slit with a spade, drop in 4 or 5 bulbs, then tread down the soil. Fine with ordinary  G nivalis, but perhaps not with the more unusual ones.

Ian Y:
This week's Bulb Log features Narcissus and Crocus in the sand beds, Eranthis, Crocus, Snowdrops and Iris flowering in the garden while  the winter garden wakens with many more shoots of promise.

https://www.srgc.net/documents/bulb%20logs/220216110458BULB%20LOG%200722.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version