We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 2021  (Read 21448 times)

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb Log 2021
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2021, 07:07:55 PM »
Thanks for your feed back Carolyn and Tristan it is nice to read comments.

It is a lovely Colchicum but My thoughts are it is too close to C. Autrorubens to be named I will check it tomorrow against the description in the recent excellent Colchicum book.

In the past we were known for gathering leaves in the roads around us but now we get all we need from our own trees.

We also have the problem of wet windy weather knocking the delicate flowers over or dark damp days when the flowers never get to open but all it takes is one nice day for them to spring into action, or perhaps that should be to Autumn into action😉
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Tristan_He

« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2021, 06:27:51 PM »
It's one of the advantages of the pandemic that I am working from home so have more opportunities to catch any autumn crocuses in the brief breaks in the weather.

By the way Colchicums have a reputation for being difficult from seed - is this deserved? Many of them do quite well here so I am thinking of trying more varieties but have been put off growing from seed by their reputation for being erratic germinators.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2021, 03:57:53 AM »
I have had colchicums germinate in only four years, but one species, C. bornmuelleri, took eight years to germinate, and hasn't flowered yet, though it is now 21 years from sowing.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2021, 11:09:28 AM »
By the way Colchicums have a reputation for being difficult from seed - is this deserved? Many of them do quite well here so I am thinking of trying more varieties but have been put off growing from seed by their reputation for being erratic germinators.

I have failed to germinate more Colchicum seeds than any other bulb that I have tried  however I admit that I have not really applied myself.
Diane is correct fully dormant seeds can take a long time before they germinate however I have had some of our own seed sown on collection germinate the following spring. We do find single Colchicums appearing in odd places and the only way they could  have got there was by seeding. I suspect getting fresh seeds before they go into deep dormancy is large part of getting success.

We need to allow space for the leaves of Colchicum to grow in the spring and that does not always fit in with the density of our planting  so that is why we don't grow as many I would like - my preference is for the Crocus whose growth is more in keeping with our planting style. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 02:56:12 PM by Maggi Young »

Tristan_He

« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2021, 09:07:32 PM »
Mmm, thanks both - not too encouraging! While I am a big fan of seed raising, in this case buying a bulb or two is probably more cost-effective and there are some very nice clones out there. They generally bulk up well too.

I love Crocus too Ian, but they can be hit and miss here. I think we have a lot of voles about. Also siting them is sometimes tricky as the flowers need full sun to open. It's not always easy to visualise where this will be at planting time. Flowers not opening also means few seedlings in general.

As you say Colchicums need careful siting too, but these days I tend to see the foliage as a virtue. Its strong lines makes for a pleasing contrast in grass or with ferny subjects, and the flowers are plentiful and fairly robust in many cultivars. It's just important to remember to mow or cut back by flowering time...

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2021, 06:07:25 PM »
I have had colchicums germinate in only four years, but one species, C. bornmuelleri, took eight years to germinate, and hasn't flowered yet, though it is now 21 years from sowing.
6-9 years before it germinates is quite common with Colchicums. I've tested GA3 acid 300ppm soaked 24h, all my pots germinated but germination is still inconsistent. Gibberellic acid break dormancy.
North of France

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2021, 08:44:55 AM »
Also I admired the dark Colchicum in your latest bulb log, it is a different one!

I have sown fresh Colchicum seeds from my own plants several times, and they usually germinate the next spring. If seeds get dry they don't germinate, and also in a seed pod it seems there are a lot of seeds, but only a few are big, others are smaller, and I'm thinking that the smaller seeds are not viable so that is why only a few seeds (the big ones) germinate.
It is a long wait to see flowering plants even when seeds germinate the next spring, and I agree with Ashley that Colchicums are easy to buy and once established they grow and multiply mostly well. At least the most common hybrids, but I have still sown all the seeds my Colchicums have:), because not all of them produce seeds in my climate.
Leena from south of Finland

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »
Autumn continues to bring colour and chaos to the garden with Crocus flowers peaking through the collapsing foliage.

https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2021Oct131634120944BULB_LOG_4121.pdf

Carolyn

« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2021, 07:49:07 PM »
Another interesting bulb log, thanks, Ian.  You seem to have had plenty of flowers on your Celmisia walkeri. In his recent talk, Hamish Brown said that this celmisia rarely flowers well. This was disappointing news, as I have 3 small seedlings of it from the 2020 seedex! They, unlike most of the celmisia seeds from that year, did not germinate that spring, but waited a year to germinate in spring 2021.
Do you find that C walkeri flowers for you every year?
I am always looking for suitable plants to grow with colchicums and autumn crocuses. Ajuga looks good with white colchicums and is vigorous enough not to mind being smothered by dying colchicum leaves. Ophiopogon is another useful combination with colchicums. Does anyone else have some suggestions to share?
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Tristan_He

« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2021, 09:54:32 PM »
You do have some nice autumn Crocus Ian! I love the banaticus. Good looking Cyclamen hederifolium too.

The moth is a Silver Y I think, a common migrant to these shores albeit not the most colourful. I think some may overwinter too.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »
Another interesting bulb log, thanks, Ian.  You seem to have had plenty of flowers on your Celmisia walkeri. In his recent talk, Hamish Brown said that this celmisia rarely flowers well. This was disappointing news, as I have 3 small seedlings of it from the 2020 seedex! They, unlike most of the celmisia seeds from that year, did not germinate that spring, but waited a year to germinate in spring 2021.
Do you find that C walkeri flowers for you every year?
I am always looking for suitable plants to grow with colchicums and autumn crocuses. Ajuga looks good with white colchicums and is vigorous enough not to mind being smothered by dying colchicum leaves. Ophiopogon is another useful combination with colchicums. Does anyone else have some suggestions to share?

I heard Hamish say in his excellent talk that Celmisia walkeri does not flower well Carolyn but that is not our experience it flowers well every year in our garden. The flowers are starry rather than full petaled and they are spread across the plant so may not be so spectacular as some came be but I love it.

695785-0

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2021, 10:49:35 AM »
You do have some nice autumn Crocus Ian! I love the banaticus. Good looking Cyclamen hederifolium too.

The moth is a Silver Y I think, a common migrant to these shores albeit not the most colourful. I think some may overwinter too.

Thanks for the ID on the moth Tristan and yes I love the autumn crocus especially those that grow well in the garden flowering and increasing every year without any fuss.

Carolyn

« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2021, 01:33:28 PM »
Thanks, Ian, I just need to get my celmisia seedlings to flowering size now!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2021, 11:15:04 AM »
Reflections of Giants, thoughts on troughs and the fruits of autumn click on the link below.

https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2021Oct201634721650BULB_LOG_4221.pdf

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2021, 08:52:17 PM »

There are big old Monkey Puzzles growing in Victoria, but always as a single tree, and no others nearby.

In the garden you photographed, there are a number of trees, which hopefully include both sexes. They are wind-pollinated, so don't need to be growing right next to each other. Do any of them produce nuts?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal