Seedy Subjects! > Grow From Seed

Pulsatilla from seed

<< < (2/7) > >>

Guff:
Was going to start a thread on these and saw this one.

Found these instructions.

For indoors sowing, cover seed to a depth of about 4 times the minimum seed dimension.  (This is not a strict rule: most seeds have ambivalent light requirements and may be surface sown regardless of size. Keep at 18-22°C (65-72 DEGREES) for 2-4 weeks.

Cold stratification is required for 8 weeks, followed by exposure to warmth, after which germination is usually complete within a month or less.

I'm going to surface sow on top of leaf compost. After two weeks of warm, damp period. They will either go into basement or fridge for the 8 weeks of Cold stratification. I will then put each seed that looks plump into single cups filled with leaf compost/sand mix(seeds lightly covered with leaf compost). I did soak the seeds for 24hrs in water before placing seeds on top of screened leaf compost.

Pulsatilla patens

Pulsatilla alpina ssp. apiifolia

Pauli:
If you really get fresh seed, there is no cold stratification necessary. Sow them at once and they germinate immediately (usually June here in Austria, best temperatures 20 - 25°C). For stored seed let nature work, but I get very much better results with fresh seed. As with most Ranunculaceae.......

Tristan_He:

--- Quote from: Pauli on December 04, 2021, 06:23:17 AM ---If you really get fresh seed, there is no cold stratification necessary. Sow them at once and they germinate immediately (usually June here in Austria, best temperatures 20 - 25°C). For stored seed let nature work, but I get very much better results with fresh seed. As with most Ranunculaceae.......

--- End quote ---

Totally agree Herbert. Fresh is best!

Guff:
Pulsatilla Patens are germinating.

Guff:
Temps here are in the 45's for a few days. What I'm wondering is, if I dig a bed and sow some seeds, should the seeds be soaked for 24hrs or planted as is? Thinking I would cover with leaves to help with heaving.

Thanks for info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version