Bulbs > Crocus

crocus seed germination

<< < (2/2)

Gabriela:
Marcel,
My only interest in growing Crocus from seeds was for Crocus banaticus but in the process I grew few others as well.
As  Poul mentions, and there was also a lot written here in the forum over the years, Crocus seeds sowed in Aug-Sept. will germinate in the next spring; the cycle required for germination is - slightly warm/followed by cold stratification.
So, when the seeds are sown in the winter of course they will need 2 years for germination. You may want to participate in the Crocus group exchange.

I just took a picture today with few Crocus seedlings some of which are almost dormant - all grown from Poul seeds, with many thanks!
C. gramensis and C. nudiflorus (2021) and C. banaticus from 2020. I also grew the spring flowering C. veluchensis with the same results.
I sow the seeds in the most common potting mix and don't fuss about them.

mannextdoor:
Hello,

and a big thanks for the many replies! So, I didnīt found any big mistake in my germinatio protocol - except the cold stratification was a bit to cold (down to - 10°C). Or, less probably, the subtrate mix is too sandy, gritty. Iīll try a more "normal" mix or simple garden ground (itīs a loamy loess). The pots didnīt dry out any time. I sow them a few days after arrival (and with 24 h soaking in plain water), so, sowing time was mid/end of september. Like i wrote above, for example C. veluchensis germinate in the open beds without problems, dozen of seedlings (the broad leave bulgarian form). Since last year, I participate in the crocus group seed exchange.

@Poul: Iīve only experience with mediterranean Colchicums and species from Israel (obtained from Oron Peri). My protocol is pretty simple (I obtained the seeds in november/december). I soak them in water for 24 h, change the water two times to hopefully wash away some germination inhibiting sunībstances. Then I sow them around 2 cm deep in pots, filled with a gritty sandy soil, conposed from sand, gravel, cocohum, charcoal and loam. Grain size is around 0 - 4 mm. I water them really good (and let them never dry out) and store them in my dark basement. Temperatures will fluctuate, because there is a little window that is always a bit open. I would say, the temperatures go from 2 to 10 °C but mainly around 5 - 10 °C. Germination will occur within 3 - 8 weeks. I use the same protocol for every Mandragora species and I have a germination rate of nearly 100%. A general rule for Colchicum seeds: Sow them as fresh as possible! I also sow slightly brown seeds from the green seed pods with good results. Hope this will help a bit.

@gabriela: Wow, thats a nice germination/seedling picture. Wish, i had success like that...

Greetings from Germany,
marcel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version