We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2019  (Read 15900 times)

Michael J Barrett

• Passionate about a lot of things
Trillium 2019
« on: January 23, 2019, 11:35:07 AM »
Hello fellow trillium devotees.
I was delighted to discover my attempt at pollination of Trillium chloropetalum was successful . It first I thought the ‘berry?’ Wasn’t maturing properly, very dried and hard. I thought I’d let them too long. It was with some delight that I found them ripening and softer. I used info I gained here to clean and sow the seeds. So finger crossed I get some seedlings one day down the track.
Trilliums are rather difficult to acquire here, apart from a few specialty nurseries.

Michael J Barrett

• Passionate about a lot of things
Re: Trillium 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »
I did mean for a few more photos, but I had a hick up.
Seeds were sown last weekend. I enjoyed making a very special site for them and later covered with a old soil sieve, the one pictured is from a previous attempt with seeds I received in a international trillium seed exchange . ( soil sieves are very fashionable as rustic fruit bowls in some parts of hip inner Melbourne 😂)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »
News of a new species  of Trillium described to add to the list of these "bulbs" ( in the widest sense!)

Trillium delicatum A. Floden & E. E. Schill., just published, February 2019 .
 Comments from Aaron Floden : "A very rare species, much rarer than the federally endangered T. reliquum which is now known from over 50 populations. This new species is tiny, gregarious in the wild and cultivation forming extensive clumps from thin branching rhizomes. The scale shown is cm. It is also very rare with 4 known sites which could easily be wiped out with some land alteration so delicate in many senses. Its odor is not delicate and is very horse manure like."

https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/aspt/sb/pre-prints/content-1800002?fbclid=IwAR3GRzv8le97mffj0dBt_cniIu_G_yS0uAYHV9zDIL2ZL9VmJ_rk64PYs6Y

A New Species of Trillium (Melanthiaceae) from Central Georgia and its Phylogenetic Position in subgenus Sessilium

Authors: Edward E. Schilling; Aaron Floden; Jayne Lampley; Thomas S. Patrick; Susan B. Farmer

Source: Systematic Botany

Publisher: American Society of Plant Taxonomists

Abstract:

Analysis of molecular phylogenetic data was used to reveal the existence of a novel species of Trillium subgen. Sessilium. Trillium delicatum sp. nov. differs from the two other low-growing species of the subgenus, T. decumbens and T. reliquum, in features such as straight stems and dung-scented flowers. It occurs in wet floodplain forests in the Oconee and Ocmulgee river drainages in central Georgia, and has a distinct floral scent compared to the wide spectrum in Trillium. The molecular phylogenetic results based on four markers (nuclear ribosomal ITS and plastid trnHpsbA, trnL-trnF, and rpl32-trnL spacers) included samples of all species of the subgenus, and documented the distinctiveness of b>T. delicatum as a distinct taxon and also provided resolution of species relationships that suggested that the subgenus originated in southeastern North America with two migrations to western North America. The molecular results also suggested the need for closer examination of T. cuneatum and T. lancifolium, and also to assess whether T. decipiens and T. underwoodii are distinct species. Based on the few known populations and susceptibility to damage by hogs, Trillium delicatum is a rare species requiring protection.

Systematic Botany - Systematic Botany is the scientific journal of the American Society of Plant Taxonomists and publishes four issues per year.

ISSN 0363-6445 (Print); ISSN 1548-2324 (Online)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 12:56:28 PM »
Trillium chloropetalum var. giganteum originally bought as T. kurabayashii but Herman put me right with this one a couple of years ago.

636137-0
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
Trillium chloropetalum var. giganteum originally bought as T. kurabayashii but Herman put me right with this one a couple of years ago.

(Attachment Link)
Nice Trillium David, mine will be flowering in a few days.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 07:48:45 PM »
Finally the Trillium season is going to start.
Trillium nivale
636261-0
Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »
I must get one of those7
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »
Trillium chloropetalum var. giganteum
636852-0

638182-1
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:16:17 PM by Maggi Young »
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 10:35:40 AM »
Trillium ovatum
Belgium

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 02:54:30 AM »
The bloom season of Pseudotrillium rivale has finally begun.
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 07:49:32 AM »
Claire, your Trillium rivale are doing very well! Nice flowers and a lot of seedlings!
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 11:17:48 AM »

Really beautiful clumps! :)
Leena from south of Finland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 04:09:13 PM »
Lovely plants Claire.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »
Thank you.  I'm lucky they like my garden so much and produce so many different color combinations and sizes.
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Graham Catlow

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 09:05:04 PM »
Trillium chloropetalum giganteum with the new red growth of Peonia ‘Bowl of Beauty’
These are mainly from my own seed from about 5 years ago.

638775-0

638777-1
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal