Specific Families and Genera > Ferns

Does anyone grow Botrychium (Moonwort)

(1/3) > >>

annew:
Does anyone out there grow the UK species of Moonwort (Botrychium lunaria), or any of the North American species?

Maggi Young:
Botrychium lunaria  from wikipedia
CC BY-SA 4.0
File:Botrychium lunaria (Vanoise).JPG
Created: 1 July 2008 by Abalg

Frond,  background squares are 5mm across

CC BY-SA 3.0
    File:Botrychium lunaria frond.JPG
    Created: 3 July 2012   by Robert Matthews

Robert:
Hi Anne

I do not know anything about the cultivation status of Botrychium species in California (you inquired about North American Species).

I can tell you that we have 6 species that have been found within ENF (Eldorado National Forest, California), Botrychium ascendens, B. crenulatum, B. minganense, B. montana, B. paradoxum, and B. simplex. All are extremely uncommon. Botrychium simplex is on the ENF Watch List (i.e. an even higher level of sensitivity to habitat disruptions – rarely seen even by trained botanist). I have had a number of recent discussions with ENF Botanist concerning these species. All appear to be highly sensitive to habitat disruptions and seem to demand very specific growing conditions (i.e. some species are associated with Incense Cedar, Calocedrus decurrens, etc.).

At one time Sceptridium multifidum was included within the genus Botrychium. This species is more common in ENF, however it is still not commonly seen. Unfortunately, I know nothing about its cultivation status either.

I wish that I could be more helpful. Maybe this information will lead you toward more detailed information on the Genus in North America.

shelagh:
Anne if your old  man doesn't know then who does ::)

James Cheshire:
In my experience, Botrychium (Sceptridium) multifidum is easy to transplant and cultivate. Propagation is probably beyond the abilities of most gardeners, though (my plants came from a friend's property that was being partially cleared).

James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version