We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2007  (Read 71645 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Galanthus January 2007
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2007, 04:46:59 PM »
Hi Wim

thank you very much for the photograph of the Galanthus Elwesii 2 Petal form.  It is a most interesting plant.  I see that the flowering bulb has a daughter bulb developing and I hope that next year you will be able to separate this, so that you may place it somewhere away from the parent plant, as a safeguard against disease.

Your father has a very good eye for finding unusual Galanthus in his travels.  I believe that I remember other interesting finds made by him in the past.  Please pass on my appreciation for his perceptive eye – I myself have spent so many hours perusing nursery pot plants, hoping to discover that elusive rare find, only to fail miserably on every outing.  I would be interested to know if your father has encountered his finds in the countryside or at nurseries selling potted plants.

During my reading of both the new and old forums I have enjoyed hearing about the Galanthus finds that you and your father have discovered.  I applaud you both for having a most observant eye.

With my thanks

John
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 04:58:57 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2007, 06:03:59 PM »
Valentin, this SnowdropSunday, if I understand ( or guess)correctly sounds very interesting: can you give us more details?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 06:21:40 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2007, 08:51:45 PM »
As Chris said earlier there are more than one clone of Galanthus 'Fred's Giant' doing the rounds. The snowdrop book, as we refer to it, says that the original clump of G. 'Fred's Giant' was quite varied and it seems to have continued to be varied in the clones now distributed under this name. Such confusion is a nuisance really and it's a pity it should have ever arisen.

I mentioned in a previous post that one flower of G. 'Fred's Giant' had four outer perianth segments. Here it is for your attention.

Any comments from anyone who has experienced this previously would be very welcome. Also, any comments re the liklihood of this abberation remaining stable.

Galanthus 'Fred's Giant' with four outer perianth segments.
Galanthus 'Fred's Gaint' normal three outer perianth segments.

Paddy

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 09:07:36 AM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2007, 09:00:23 PM »
A few other snowdrops open/opening today.

Galanthus 'Anglesey Abbey' This has an inclination to produce poculiform flowers and this year I have one clump which has all poculiform flowers.

Galanthus 'Brocklamont Seedling' A small plant but good strong marking on the inner segments.

Galanthus elwesii monostictus My favourite snowdrops for many years as it was the first 'different' snowdrop in the garden besides G. nivalis. It has proved to be a very good garden plant, increasing well while being strong and healthy.

Galanthus 'Beatrix Stanley

Galanthus 'Jaquenetta'

Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2007, 09:06:36 PM »
Just a few more:

Galanthus 'Lady Beatrix Stanley'

Galanthis 'Ophelia'

Galanthus 'Wendy's Gold'

Galanthus 'Winnifrede Matthias'

Paddy
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:08:58 PM by Paddy Tobin »

snowdropman

« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2007, 09:22:47 PM »
My first attempt at posting a photo - indeed the first photo of any sort that I have taken in many a long year!

Picture quality not great, and the sun had almost disappeared when I took it, so the flowers had virtually closed up, but I wanted to go through the process!

g. ikariae are one of my favourite snowdrops. This small clump came from stock originating from Washfield Nursery (Elizabeth Strangman) and has been flowering now for about 3 weeks.

These bulbs are a good example of 'in the green' bulbs that have been lifted & transported properly - they were only planted just over a year ago, on 4th January 2006 and show no obvious signs of setback.

In the background is g. plicatus 'Amy Doncaster', which also came 'in the green' - it was planted on 2nd March 2006 and looks like it will come into flower quite soon.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »
Chris,

Hopefully this is to be the first of many and we can look forward to many more photographs from your garden.

Not such a technophobe as you indicated.

Paddy

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2007, 09:54:40 PM »
hoorah! Chris, super start, hope there will be no stopping you now!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2007, 10:11:49 PM »
Yes thank you Joakim, the bulldozing started after I sold, and it was down to the new owner. If anyone thinks moving house can be traumatic, that's the least of it when moving garden and nursery as well. Take my word for it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2007, 10:17:28 PM »
Those "raised arms" on Marks pic of `Cordelia' look like a rather jolly pair of green (Irish?) shorts, with shoulder straps. Great for gardening,  in summer.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »
 Lesley, you mentioned on the crocus page "How easy (weasy) it is to get distracted. Suddenly a crocus thread is all about cats/ pigeons/ weasels etc." ...... now do you see how weasily easy it is ?  ;D ;) ;D

snowdropman

« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2007, 10:33:54 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Maggi & Paddy - I will have to see about buying a camera!
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2007, 10:35:09 PM »
So far as the 2 petalled snowdrop is concerned, MY fingers are crossed that it is thoroughly gone from this world. The 3 petalled versions are what snowdrops are all about surely. Nor would one want a 2 petalled version of a trillum or a weldenia. The very rare flower that appears on the latter, is simply a tempoary aberration and thank goodness doesn't repeat. Those people who seek the bizarre occurances such as these would also probable welcome a dog born with 3 legs. No way!

Having said all that, and OK, I'm down from my soap box, I do have an address and phone number for Michael Carle. I'd let someone have it privately.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 10:36:30 PM by Maggi Young »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »
I do indeed Maggi.  A question for you or Ian now. On the old Forum I sometimes got a picture that didn't appear except as a little red X in a small box. When I right clicked on this it said "show picture" and up came the pic. The same X occasionally happens here (Wims's pics this time) but the same procedure doesn't work, the X comes back. Any suggestions?

And thanks John, for the link to `Hill Poe' in the old Forum. Really nice to visit back there. HP is certainly very distinctive and what we were growing as that has the outer green marks of `Jacquenetta' so not HP. On the other hand, ours is the wrong shape for Jac. Back to the drawing board I suppose.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2007, 10:58:56 PM »
Lesley, in the old forum the red "X" you refer to meant that a phot had not loaded when the page opened but was "in the ether" somewhere and would open with a click, as you suggest. I believe that the difference here is that those red"x" marks now show where a photo has failed to load altogether, i.e. the coding was wrong or incomplete, so the picture is usually the one displayed at the end of the post, "under the line", if you follow me. It is what has happened to me when I have mis-posted a picture.
This is how I read the situation, Ian is asleep and Fred is likely still outside wrestling another rampant clematis, or you might get another answer.  :-\

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal