We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 2018  (Read 36766 times)

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
Re: Bulb log 2018
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2018, 04:50:07 PM »
Ian, even though so many things you grow are not possible for me here in Minnesota (USA), I never miss reading even one.  I find your Bulb Logs incredibly useful, as your methods, ideas and portrayals are adaptable in so many other ways , if not directly.

If I were to post here each time I felt gratitude for your time spent composing the bulb log and teaching in your special way, I would be writing each week.  Instead, I attempt to shower you with well deserved accolades, perhaps yearly, with sincere and heartfelt appreciation.

As I leaned back in my chair reading this bulb log, I was struck again my one of your impressive, well prepared bulb portraits of Colchicum.  It’s always been an enigma to me, how and why these bulbs so “strangely” grow.  Yet another "Aha" moment that inserted glee in my life.

So this Bulb Log edition that focuses on "not flowers" has prompted me to express some of my admiration, as the entire life cycle of plants is both interesting and important, and this culture of knowledge taught here as well as within the SRGC in general is invaluable and not commonly found.

Thank you !!!
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2018, 06:42:38 PM »
Very well written Rick and I heartily second your appreciation.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2018, 06:50:07 PM »
Rick
Thank you for such a kind appreciation of my work it is very gratifying to know that my fascination of plants is shared among so many.

Also thank you David for your support .
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2018, 11:43:04 AM »
Bulb Log 36 brings the September storm when I water the bulb houses to start the season plus autumn flowers are blooming in the garden.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2018Sep051536139026BULB_LOG_3618.pdf

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »
Ian,
Like you I gave all my bulbs with a preference for a warm and dry summer rest your ' Septemberstorm ' treatment.
I remember that you once wrote in an older log (can't find it) that the date for this first watering could be changed in latitudes south of Scotland.
I would be glad if you will let me know which idea is behind this.
I might suggest that the amount of light for the coming growing season is one reason, i. e. in the south a later start is possible because there is a longer periode of sufficient light expected, but maybe I am wrong.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
Hello Gerd- Ian is away today - but I m sure he will answer you  later.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

sokol

« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2018, 08:41:02 AM »
Gerd, I also do this like Ian.

I have repotted some pots yesterday and root growth has started in most pots. Some pots contained bulbs with and without roots. So it can't be wrong to water them now.

One problem seems to be that plants come into growth too early as the winters are too mild in parts of Britain. I don't have this problem as we have always cold enough winters.
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »
Ian,
Like you I gave all my bulbs with a preference for a warm and dry summer rest your ' Septemberstorm ' treatment.
I remember that you once wrote in an older log (can't find it) that the date for this first watering could be changed in latitudes south of Scotland.
I would be glad if you will let me know which idea is behind this.
I might suggest that the amount of light for the coming growing season is one reason, i. e. in the south a later start is possible because there is a longer periode of sufficient light expected, but maybe I am wrong.

Gerd

Thanks for your comments Gerd.
In warmer parts than ours the temperature gradient that I believe triggers the bulbs into growth generally comes later - you just need to look at a weather map  we are already getting close to 0C at nights.
I have considered light as one of the parameters that could trigger the growth and have concluded that it cannot have a direct effect  but indirectly it does as longer daylight hours will influence the temperatures.
Watering the bulbs too early while they are still in summer rest can cause wet rot and fungal diseases so it is important to know from careful observation when your bulbs are ready to root.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »
Gerd, I also do this like Ian.

I have repotted some pots yesterday and root growth has started in most pots. Some pots contained bulbs with and without roots. So it can't be wrong to water them now.

One problem seems to be that plants come into growth too early as the winters are too mild in parts of Britain. I don't have this problem as we have always cold enough winters.

Thank you for your comments Sokol the more we share our observations the more we can learn from each other.
Yes you are correct the bulbs are ready and waiting for water when you see root growth.

You have also identified one of the big challenges we face in our climate is the very erratic nature of our winter where sudden mild conditions can cause the bulb to grow only for the temperatures to plunge down once more and this cycle is often repeated several times in a winter.
I would love a good cold winter followed by a warm bright spring but that rarely happens in Aberdeen.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2018, 06:45:44 AM »
Maggi & Ian,
Thanks you for your kind help.

@ Ian: I see that I have to treat my bulbs individually. So with some of them I will start later
than beginning of September.
With all of the bulbs which I gave a resting periode with artificial heat (mainly autumn flowering daffodils)
the ' start ' at the the beginning of September seems to work because there are no losses because of
rot and they can use the better light conditions of an earlier begin.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
What is a garden?
Click the link to read this week's Bulb log 3718.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2018Sep121536740381BULB_LOG_3718.pdf
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:31:22 AM by Ian Y »

John85

« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »
Ian,
Do you have a picture of the little plant umbrellas as seen on the old picture(the one with grass)?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »
John, those are old-fashioned  barn cloches - cannot find any  photos of ours right  now  so here are some from the internet..

These last two photo from this site  - click  here
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2018, 11:24:38 AM »
Autumn colchicum and autumn crocus provide the colour in this  week's Bulb Log click the link to see all 23 pages.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2018Sep191537352318BULB_LOG_3818.pdf

Carolyn

« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2018, 03:31:49 PM »
Ian,
Another interesting bulb log, thank you.  I notice that you have cyclamen hederifolium and coum growing close together in one of your beds. Most of the articles about cyclamen in the garden suggest that it is better to keep these two apart, as cyc hed will outgrow coum and be a bit of a thug.  I used to follow this advice, but the ants in my garden have other ideas and have scattered the seeds, so I now have mixed plantings in some places. The two species seem to co-exist quite happily (so far). Do you find that coum is able to cope with hederifolium in the longer term?
Another combination which has happened is C. coum and intaminatum, which seems to work well.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal