We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Latest Bulb Log 2016  (Read 48982 times)

Tristan_He

Re: Latest Bulb Log 2016
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2016, 09:56:44 PM »
Beautiful Ian. Crocus nudiflorus has very special memories for me, as we saw thousands in flower on our honeymoon to the French Pyrenees in September 2006. I have a few in the garden but the flowers are so short-lived here due to the wind and rain - and particularly so this year. 

brianw

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2016, 11:11:02 PM »
Interesting that you have Colchicum x agrippinum and speciosum album flowering at the same time. Down here the former went over around 3 weeks ago but the latter is just starting to flower. This is typical from memory here, although the weather each year will presumably influence individual bulbs differently.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
Beautiful Ian. Crocus nudiflorus has very special memories for me, as we saw thousands in flower on our honeymoon to the French Pyrenees in September 2006. I have a few in the garden but the flowers are so short-lived here due to the wind and rain - and particularly so this year.

Because the flowers are so fragile and easily knocked over is why we should enjoy them when they come first come out - my other thought is should we be growing them through other low growing plants or turf that would support their fragile tubes.

Interesting that you have Colchicum x agrippinum and speciosum album flowering at the same time. Down here the former went over around 3 weeks ago but the latter is just starting to flower. This is typical from memory here, although the weather each year will presumably influence individual bulbs differently.

Brian that is the case here also but we nearly always have an overlap plus I would say that C. speciosum forms are a bit later into flower this season.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2016, 05:53:22 PM »
Ian,

I enjoyed the next-to-the-last photograph of Crocus nudiflorus (on its side) in Bulblog #39. Except for the Crocus, and most likely all the other plants in the scene, it looked every much like a natural scene from the Northern Sierra Nevada Mountains in California. In the high elevation forests I often see the light-dark contrast of "white" granite rocks, the dark of the forest duff covered with pine needles, and small plants grow in the duff and among the rocks. It is all very beautiful. I often attempt to recreate such scenes in our gardens. You have done so masterfully! Thank you for sharing and inspiring.  :)  8)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2016, 09:25:32 AM »
Thank you for your feed back Robert, as you know well it has become my aim to mimic nature in the garden and I am so pleased to read your comments.

551271-0

ian mcdonald

« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2016, 02:25:51 PM »
Hello Ian, The Bulb Book, by Martyn Rix and Roger Phillips has some excellent photos. showing bulbs in their native habitats. It is interesting to see how many bulbous plants grow in bare stony ground and not in manicured lawns and borders.

Robert

« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2016, 02:37:41 PM »
Ian,

Thank you for reposting the photograph. It is great to see how an assemblage of different species (and other components) can still be used to create naturalistic garden scenes.  8)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2016, 11:16:23 AM »
Autumn flowering Crocus and Colchicum feature again in this weeks Bulb Log.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2016Oct051475662326BULB_LOG_4016.pdf

Tristan_He

« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2016, 10:26:26 PM »
Nice bulbs as always Ian. Do you think the epithet 'autumn' is necessary for colchicums given that most of them seem to flower in autumn? With Crocus the default assumption seems to be generally that they are spring flowering so presumably for Colchicum the reverse would apply?

Is it still ok to lift and divide colchicums? I have a nice clump of C. pannonicum(?) in some grass which would look very nice if split and dotted around.

Best, Tristan

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »
Nice bulbs as always Ian. Do you think the epithet 'autumn' is necessary for colchicums given that most of them seem to flower in autumn? With Crocus the default assumption seems to be generally that they are spring flowering so presumably for Colchicum the reverse would apply?

Is it still ok to lift and divide colchicums? I have a nice clump of C. pannonicum(?) in some grass which would look very nice if split and dotted around.

Best, Tristan

I added Autumn to the colchicum name just to make the point that just as with Crocus there are also spring and Autumn flowering types - I will be happy when colchicum are not called crocus.
Yes you could divide your colchicum just lift them carefully as the roots will most likely have started to grow but will not have rached their full length yet. Often the best time is when you remember.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »
More autumn flowering bulbs make an appearance in this weeks Bulb Log.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2016Oct121476271075BULB_LOG_4116.pdf

Robert

« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »
Ian,

When I was 20 years old or so I was fortunate to have friends that gardened too. Back then I could frequently visit them and get a guided tour of their garden (everyone was more than happy to do so back then). I learned a lot on these visits.

Now I rarely get to visit gardening friends and their gardens except through the forum. It is a pleasure to visit your garden every week and see what you are up to. This still learn from these visits.  :)  Thank you for sharing, even if it is the most mundane things like grinding up prunings (a few bulblogs ago).
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »
Thank you Robert, It is a pleasure to have you share our garden via the weekly Bulb Log and Video Diary Supplement.

As it nears the end of the fourteenth year writing the Bulb Log has become a routine part of my life.  The self imposed responsibility to find pictures and content each week has resulted in me always carrying a camera with me in the garden so that I record the things that draw my attention.

Some weeks there are so many things in flower that I cannot possibly include all the images I take, it can easily be three hundred a week in peak seasons, other weeks I have to go out and really look in the garden to see what I can write on and share.
This week for instance the garden has been battered by wind and rain, there are leaves everywhere, the place looks a mess until you start to look carefully at the process of preparing for winter and the colours that brings to the garden.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2016, 12:01:13 PM »
The seasons play such a big part in our gardens -  Autumn brings a mix of chaos and colour in this weeks Bulb Log.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2016Oct191476874769BULB_LOG_4216.pdf

Cfred72

« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2016, 12:15:59 PM »
Ian, you show us beautiful foliage and beautiful bays. Very nice photos. We recognize the eyes of the artist.
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal