General Subjects > Blogs and Diaries

composts

<< < (2/4) > >>

David Nicholson:
Ian and others we have discussed this issue a number of times and it might help to look at some of the history here http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=7748.15

Not sure where you live Ian but it seems to me that geography has a big bearing on the quality of compost you can buy. Keith Singleton's has already been mentioned and Darren and others swear by it. So Lancashire, The Lakes areas and spreading up to Northumberland would seem to be in the Singleton's coverage.

Green Ore, from Wells, Somerset was one of my favourites. It was used by Wisley's alpine dept. until the RHS eco-warriors banned it because it contained peat. I used it for a number of years, it was really good stuff, until the 240ish mile round trip to get it got a bit much and they don't have suppliers near to me in Devon. All of this is academic as Yann (in France) who it seems imported Green Ore, tells me that they are closing down at the end of October. Yann has found a new JI supplier from Essex but I can't remember the name of the firm.

One of my local garden centres and nurseries (locally owned and managed) Otter Nurseries based in Ottery St Mary, Devon (branches in Brixton Nr. Plymouth, Torquay, Wincanton and Lymington ) do a good range of their own manufactured JI's. I use this wholly now and am very pleased with it.

Graeme:

--- Quote from: David Nicholson on August 26, 2014, 06:22:43 PM ---
until the RHS eco-warriors banned it because it contained peat.

--- End quote ---
are they the same ones who infiltrated the national trust as well and got our stupid government to adopt the no peat by 2020.........

David Nicholson:
Exactly.

Dionysia:
Unfortunately Green Ore have confirmed to me that they will close at the end of October and that they are notifying customers although if you just go there and pay cash this clearly won't happen. They say that they will be fully stocked until then. Looks like a final visit is in order even though I don't really need any at present.

Yann:
This other company located in Essex is Binder Loams Limited.
I'm waiting a quote.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version