General Subjects > Blogs and Diaries

composts

<< < (3/4) > >>

brianw:
I have bought 2 cubic metre bags of "Top Soil" recently, to level an area to be laid as lawn. Both stated to be grade "A". The first was the expected sifted loam. The second was more than 50% organics, and still hot and "working". It took at least a week to cool down to air temperature. I have used most of the latter as a planting aid and top dressing in the garden as it is useless for levelling. The second came from a local builders merchant, the first from a landscape and fencing company. As expected I guess the good top soil seemed to have more weed seed in it, the second was sterilised by the heat probably.
The Arthur Bowers top soil I sometimes buy bagged is a fine loam, but with added minerals etc. Seems to be little fibrous organic in it.

ian mcdonald:
Hello David, I am in S.Yorks. Our gardening teacher at school used to sterilize loam for use as compost  in a wooden box on the radiator pipes in school. As power stations have excess heat I wonder if this could be used to sterilize loam?

ian mcdonald:
Things will only improve if the customer keeps complaining!

David Nicholson:

--- Quote from: ian mcdonald on August 28, 2014, 03:03:59 PM ---Hello David, I am in S.Yorks. Our gardening teacher at school used to sterilize loam for use as compost  in a wooden box on the radiator pipes in school. As power stations have excess heat I wonder if this could be used to sterilize loam?

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't have thought it would have been hot enough?

jomowi:

--- Quote from: ian mcdonald on August 28, 2014, 03:09:41 PM ---Things will only improve if the customer keeps complaining!

--- End quote ---
Isn't this something that the Trading Standards people should be persuaded to look into?  I have found that Garden Centres just don't care when it is something they have bought in and put the blame on the supplier or in the case of wrongly named plants for instance, on the grower.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version