General Subjects > Blogs and Diaries

Plants and fish, a diary from my parents garden.

(1/4) > >>

André:
Hello every one!

I have been lurking here for a while and thought it was time to start writing.

My name is André and i live just out side Stockholm. I'm fairly new to gardening and plants (I've been at it for four or five years), but biology and particularly aquatic life is a life long passion of mine.

As i don't have a garden of my own i have appointed myself head gardener of my parents garden, and spend allot of my time there tending it (paying for the plants as well  ::) )

André:
Oops, I hit reply to soon...

My garden interest started when the ant hill, that i had spent most of high school protecting from my parents who wanted to remove it, started to become to wide, and I needed to contain it somehow. I happened to come up with the idea of creating a raised bed around it, and the second i stepped foot in the garden center i was hooked. Previously I kept planted aquariums so I guess other plants was just an extension of that, and my general biology interest.
Well that border looks really bad at the moment since I had no idea what i was doing at the time and most plants died, but the ants are happy   ;D

In this  thread im going to talk about my garden and houseplants, but also about my fish if that is alright on this forum? At the moment I only have pond fish so it's garden related at least.
I'm going to upload some pics later and talk some more, but now I have to get back to work.

Maggi Young:
Hello André and welcome.

An interest in plants, animals and wildlife  (including fish !) is something that can teach us a great deal and give a lifetime of pleasure and learning. We'll look forward to hearing what plants most catch your eye and find out how your  "garden grows".  Not sure that too many gardeners are actively "farming" ants, though!  :-X :-\

André:
Thank you Maggie :)

I've newer found a slug anyway near the anthill though they are abundant in the rest of the garden, so they do some good ;)

Steve Garvie:
Problem with farming ants is that many ant species will actively "farm" other insects -sapsuckers such as mealy-bugs, scale-insects & aphids.  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version