We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 45  (Read 1617 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Bulb log 45
« on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:18 AM »
Welcome home, Ian! Those chrysanthemums are mind-blowing - what skill to produce them, then get them all to flower at once! Do they constantly rotate them, do you think? Funnily enough, the picture I looked longest at was the pole dancing! Are you SURE it wasn't an exhibit???
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb log 45
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
Anne,

The skill involved in creating the  chrysanthemums masterpieces is incredible and I suspect that all round even light exposure is a part of that. Behind every bloom are a number of reserve buds carefully tied back in case they are needed or to extend the booming. To get all blooms of a single cultivar in flower at one time is impressive but to get 100 plus booms of such different cultivars is mind blowing. Click the Longwood link to see and learn much more.

The pole dancers became a bit of a performance as they saw my interest and started to wave and jig about to which of course I responded by doing a wee highland fling.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

angie

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 05:54:23 PM »
Lovely pictures Ian. I too liked the pole dancing picture. Showed it to Derek and said that I won't mind if he does some pole dancing at his work now. Nice to have you back to Scotland safe and sound.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 03:26:05 AM »
Hi Ian,

I was hoping that you would come to the west coast as well! Please come back to the US soon!

The chrysanthemum displays were amazing! I coincidently happened to meet Yoko in June in Seattle. She was visiting her friend here and stopped by our NW NARGS chapter meeting when Ron Ratko was presenting. At the time, I didn’t know what she did, and she didn’t mention anything about chrysanthemums at all, she just said that she worked “at a greenhouse”! We sat together because we both missed speaking Japanese and were commiserating about the trials and tribulations of living in foreign countries!  I wish I had known at the time her true vocation!

Thanks very much for your Bulb Log, I always enjoy reading it!
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »
Peppy, I would love to come to the West coast some time.

Yoko is a vey modest person so it is no surprise that she said she worked in the greenhouse believe me she is one of  the most skilled horticulturalists that I know.

It is always good to here that you enjoy the bulb log - positive comments encourage me to keep going.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal