We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 31-31/07/13  (Read 1479 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Bulb Log 31-31/07/13
« on: July 31, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »
Interesting stuff Ian on the new plunges. Just a point on greenhouse ventilation, it looks as though the only ventilation you will have on the sides of the greenhouse will be by removing panes of glass? Am I right, in that you will not be able to have any other form as the plunges will be in the way?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Bulb Log 31-31/07/13
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
Lots of panes missing at the moment, David, as work continues. I'm  not sure  what you mean about the inability to add ventilation. The plunges are lower than the existing ones in our houses and the ones with side vents in the form of louvres work okay with that and would surely do so with the new system.
We never had  side louvres in that house- only took out panes to be replaced with mesh  at times and then we also have the option of forced ventilation in the form of electric fans.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »
You are correct David, in that glasshouse there are two roof windows and the door is neary always open. When I need more ventilation I remove panes of glass which is easily done by demoing 4 wire clips. You will also notice an extractor fan on the end wall which is a left over from the days when we grew alpines here, then we also had two fans running all the time to move the air.
In the Frit house, which is exactly the same we have louvred vents on three sides but I still remove glass when necessary.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:57:04 PM »
Lots of panes missing at the moment, David, as work continues. I'm  not sure  what you mean about the inability to add ventilation. The plunges are lower than the existing ones in our houses and the ones with side vents in the form of louvres work okay with that and would surely do so with the new system.
We never had  side louvres in that house- only took out panes to be replaced with mesh  at times and then we also have the option of forced ventilation in the form of electric fans.

Thanks Maggi and Ian. I couldn't see the side louvre vents on Ian's pics and assumed you didn't use them. My louvres are on both of the long sides of my greenhouse (also 8 x6), in the middle section of glass, and I was wondering if I would be able to have them if I did a similar plunge installation.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
David you would indeed, I have attached a picture of the other glasshouse which has louvers on two sides and on the end opposite the door. The u-shaped plunge in there is home made and higher than the new one and the louvers work perfectly.
You will also see that I  often remove glass from it as well and replacing it wire mesh.

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 01:39:57 PM »
I was interested to see that the pots are close together and not deeply immersed in the sand as I imagined they would be?

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »
Helen, the pots are not plunged into the sand like I used to do with clay pots they just sit on a bed of sand. Because square plastic pots fit closely together they are effectively self plunging.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »
...... and not porous like clay pots! Therefore the only benefit of p[lunging them would be to keep them cool.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal