We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rooted cuttings  (Read 926 times)

Palustris

Rooted cuttings
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
I have a cuttings frame (pure sharp sand, no bottom heat any more, the element packed up). Now in it at present are a lot of Saxifrage cuttings which were taken late for various reasons (usually 'cos the mother plant was dying on me). Looking today I found that a goodly number of them have rooted. Question is do I leave them until Spring or pot up now and keep the planted ones warm? There is no food in the sand for them,  but they are obviously not going to need much until Spring, or are they.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: Rooted cuttings
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »
I would leave them in the frame and pot them in Mid February, you could loose some of them if you pot them now, and they don't need any heat or food.. You don't want them to start growing until early spring so keep them cold, they won't come to any harm.
cheers.

Palustris

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »
Thanks. That is what I hoped. Mainly because I have now run out of potting compost and no-one stocks the stuff I like until Spring.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
I absolutely agree with Michael here. The time I most lose cuttings is soon after potting up too late in the season. They need enough time potted, to make new roots before the cold sets in. I rarely pot rooted cuttings after late March (Sept for you) unless the plants are really vigorous types. Saxifrages don't fit into this group. Maybe you could give them a half strength liquid fertilizer to carry on with.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal