Bulbs > Crocus

Crocus December 2006

(1/11) > >>

Thomas Huber:
4th of December and nobody wants to open a new thread ?
So it's my turn:

Lots of spring flowering plants in the garden in this warm winter - hope they will survive
when the "real" winter comes.

Crocus korolkowii "Mountains Glory"
C. imperati ssp suaveolens

Hope you will forgive me, if I show something different than Crocus in this thread, but
I think Ipheion "Rolf Fiedler" is a wonderful combination with the yellow korolkowii's in the background.

Thomas Huber:
Thanks Hans Joschko for helping to identify my Ipheion as a blue form
of Ipheion uniflorum. He told me, that Ipheion "Rolf Fiedler" is a form of
Ipheion penduculata and would not survive our winters!

tonyg:
Looks like an early spring in Germany .... roll on the summer!! 
Ipheon Rolf Fiedler is to my mind the best blue ipheon.  It does not thrive outside here but is very vigorous under glass ..... don't plant it in a bulb frame where it becomes a weed!

Lesley Cox:
Forgive me that I don't mention the "C" word here but a question about I. `Rolf Feidler.' Mine grows very well outside and it didn't occur to me to think of it as other than quite hardey. However, it only gives a very few flowers. Is that perhaps because our summers may not be hot enough? Or why?

Lesley Cox:
And your Crocus korolkowii pics are beautiful Thomas. I bought 3 forms from Marcus last autumn and they've done really well, flowering for 2 full months.

Did he tell you that he can't export crocuses this year because his MAF inspector found some yellowing leaves which were subsequently identified as a potyvirus. So no crocuses to NZ at least. A shame as he has so many that I DON't have, and all the ones I imported last season did so well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version