Specific Families and Genera > Rhododendron and other Ericaceae

Azalea pontica

(1/1)

David Nicholson:
I have in my garden what was bought as Azalea pontica but a recent Web search seems to call it Rhododendron flavum or luteum?

Last year and this from late Summer it has been covered in mildew.  This year I have sprayed it with fungicide once a week for the last three weeks (as I did last year) but it doesn't seem to have improved any. Is this a species that is particularly prone to mildew and is there any other remedy I could try? Flowering this year was very sparse and I did collect up as many of the fallen leaves from around the plant as I could. I did think I had maybe under watered the plant last year so this year I have watered it well in addition to Nature's bounty :D

Maggi Young:
David, this is a plant which is very prone to mildew. There are several in gardens along the road from here which suffer almost every year. I don't believe any of these plants in my street are being treated against the mildew in any way but the plants seem to survive well enough from year to year. I would recommend collecting and destroying the leaves as they fall, if nothing else it'll make you feel you are doing somehing but I believe that climatic conditions are foremost in mildew attacks and spraying is not likely to be much help.

David Nicholson:

--- Quote from: Maggi Young on September 10, 2007, 08:49:27 PM ---David, this is a plant which is very prone to mildew. There are several in gardens along the road from here which suffer almost every year. I don't believe any of these plants in my street are being treated against the mildew in any way but the plants seem to survive well enough from year to year. I would recommend collecting and destroying the leaves as they fall, if nothing else it'll make you feel you are doing somehing but I believe that climatic conditions are foremost in mildew attacks and spraying is not likely to be much help.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that Maggi. It's nice to know that Nature is at fault and it's not just me! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version