General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

Cyclamen 2007

(1/11) > >>

Hans J:
Hi all ,

After a lot days with rain it was today possibly to get outside and make some pictures .

Cyclamen purpurascens f. album
Cyclamen pupurascens f. carmineolineatum

These plants are very unusual and flowering for me for the first time

Enjoy
Hans

Maggi Young:
These unusual forms are most interesting, Hans, thank you for posting the pictures. I am particularly taken with the very fine foliage of  the forma alba. Perhaps it is not surprising that these  rare colour forms should also have good foliage. Is there any red on the reverse of the leaves, or only green?

We have had quite a good day today, also, perhaps summer has come! In the garden C. purpurascens is making buds and there are also some seed pods. We have only some dark forms, I must look for photos... or wait for more sunshine here!

Hans J:

--- Quote from: Maggi Young on July 30, 2007, 07:50:40 PM ---Is there any red on the reverse of the leaves, or only green?

--- End quote ---

Hi Maggi ,

I'm glad that you like the pictures of this plants.
To your question ( I have looked outside ):
The leaves of the album form is more or less green on backsite, the other carmineolineatum form is a little red .
I hope this album form is more fertil than my others - they had made a lot of fruits in last year -but in spring there was only few left - and more and more was dry and has no seeds inside .
After talking with a Cyclamen breeder he tells me this is typical for this plants -thats the reason why this plants are rare .
From last year I had only 4 seed grains !!!

Greetings
Hans

Maggi Young:
Thank you, Hans. I expected that there would only be green on the leaves of the white form but one never knows for sure about these things!  We certainly find that the "ordinary" C. purpurascens in the garden do not make as many seeds as we would like.
 I should have asked this question before, now I must make you go back to the garden  ::)... are these forms as sweetly scented as the usual forms?

Hans J:
No problem Maggi ::)

I have always a lot of seeds in my garden from the normal form of C. purpurascens -please remember me and I will send you a pic later.
My Cyclamen purpurascens grows free in my border without protection - exept some rare in pots .
To your other question : yes - the f. carmineolinatum is scented.
More difficould for me is to get seeds of Cyc. colchicum - I pollinate they often as possibly -but with not so good results .

Greetings
Hans

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version