We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growing Crocus sativus (saffraan)  (Read 1438 times)

lily-anne

Growing Crocus sativus (saffraan)
« on: August 17, 2013, 05:47:14 PM »
 Who can successfully grow, Crocus sativus  in pots,  and has subsequently large bulbs, or larger bulbs, for the  next year? Has anyone followed the advice of the Crocus sativus commercial breeder,which Ian Young wrote  about, in bulblog 45, 2006
 I'm about to plant my Crocus sativus bulbs, and hope someone can give me some good advice, so I can make the best potting mixture
Thanks
Lily-Anne

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

Re: Growing Crocus sativus (saffraan)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »
Who can successfully grow, Crocus sativus  in pots,  and has subsequently large bulbs, or larger bulbs, for the  next year? Has anyone followed the advice of the Crocus sativus commercial breeder,which Ian Young wrote  about, in bulblog 45, 2006
 I'm about to plant my Crocus sativus bulbs, and hope someone can give me some good advice, so I can make the best potting mixture
Thanks
Lily-Anne
I used to grow C. sativus in pots some years ago. It is no more difficult than other saffron crocuses. Compost - equal parts John Innes no. 3 & 6mm grit, feed weekly with dilute tomato fertiliser, keep completely dry & warm/hot when dormant.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:46:44 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

lily-anne

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 11:20:34 PM »
Thank you Maggi - excuse me that I did not see that info - now I read it and learned a lot. Amazing how quickly you can identify that information
Thanks for the info Gerry !
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:27:10 PM by lily-anne »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:27:43 PM »
Happy to help, Lily-Anne  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 01:11:05 AM »
Difficult to add to Gerry's comments. We used to grow a good number of C. sativus corms in raised beds but since they are aimed for Cyclamens now,  corms have been moved for a couple of years to plastic buckets (measuring 30 cm. in diameter and 40 cm. tall). Results have been the same as before on a regime basically as for Gerry's. Depth is most important. As with narcissi and a number of other bulbs, masive mature corms are found really deep in the mix. Shallow planting results in more offsets that take lots (if ever) to reach flowering size.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal