Specific Families and Genera > Rhododendron and other Ericaceae

Achamore Gardens on Gigha

(1/2) > >>

TC:
Managed to belatedly get my act together.  We went here on the 29 April as the optimum time for the bulk of the rhododendrons in flower - especially the most tender and scented varieties.  We were not disappointed although the garden starts flowering in February.  For those that dont know, the garden was famous for its planting of rhododendrons by James Horlicks. After his death, the collection was bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland and many of the choicer plants removed to Brodick.  The gardens then went into a gentle decline but I am pleased to say that the are now in a process of rejuvenation.  Gigha lies off the west coast of Kintyre and is easily reached by a regular ferry service which takes about 20 minutes.  There are a few shops and a hotel which serves meals but no transport.  The walk to the gardens is about 40 minutes each way and it takes between 2/4 hours to see everything. If you want food or drink at the gardens it has to be taken with you.  Thankfully there are toilets in the grounds and at the ferry slipway.
It is one of these gardens you want to visit time and again.
As usual, I had trouble with names as some of the labels are unreadable.  Because of the extent of hybrydisation, it is unwise to guess at anything.  There was one surprise, a double flowered rhododendron.  I did not know they existed. 
It was difficult to know what to show as general views need to be seen on a screen about 6 feet across or they begin to look a bit like coloured dots.  Anyway, here is a selection.

TC:
Problem posting. Here goes again.

TC:
Success.  Now some more

Should be Rh. supranubium

TC:
Yet more

Lesley Cox:
Thanks for this little tour Tom. A lovely place. The Sophora microphylla (South Island Kowhai) is obviously very happy in the middle of the Gulf stream.

There are numerous double rhodos nowadays, apart from your double johnstoneanum. An old one is R. fastuosum `Plenum,' a good reliable purple and I used to have `Creamy Chiffon' which was gorgeous, a sort of frothy meringue thing. And there are a lot of double azaleas as well. A lot of these were bred in NZ in the first place but are no doubt around the world by now. 'Pavlova' is a stunning pure white.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version