We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 24  (Read 6018 times)

cfaitz

Re: Galanthus February 24
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2024, 02:49:41 PM »
I believe the name translates as "white nose"
It means indeed "white nose", but also is a play with words, as "Naseweis" in German means "Mr. Know-it-All"...  :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2024, 05:31:03 PM »
It means indeed "white nose", but also is a play with words, as "Naseweis" in German means "Mr. Know-it-All"...  :)
  Ah, thank you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2024, 05:42:03 PM »
  Ah, thank you!

And thank you from me, also.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2024, 11:25:13 AM »
We have been a bit busy in the last few days (well it is snowdrops season!), but I would like to share this with you. I was sent a copy of the flier from Primrose Hill Gardens in Ireland which was of great interest.  It lists snowdrops which have arisen there and been named by Robin Hall including one which is very well deserved - even though it is the last on the list.  It looks to have nice long outers and claws which will show the mark whilst it is still in bud.  Well deserved recognition for one of Ireland's leading galanthophiles, Paddy Tobin. Welcome to the snowdrop 'immortals'.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Mariette

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2024, 07:01:06 PM »
Stefan, Your G. trojanus is very beautiful, I like this species very much but wonder, if it would stand the conditions in my garden. ´Naseweis´ is a very nice and unusual snowdrop, as is the name.

Brian, sad and good news from You! The unique catalogues of North Green Snowdrops will be missed, as well as the attractive and interesting varieties they offered.

Paddy Tobin is a deserved snowdrop enthusiast, and well worth giving his name to this lovely snowdrop! As long outers and claws are what I do favour in snowdrops, I may especially say so.  ;) Thank You for Your informations!

By the way, an Irish snowdrop doing well in my garden, ´Kildare´.

´Belvedere Gold´

The flowers of ´Wessex Titan´on the right are not especially large compared with ´Seagull´on the left.

Yet with´Wessex Titan´ in the background, ´Veronica Cross´looks diminutive.

´Treasure Island´

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 01:31:31 PM by Mariette »

Mariette

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2024, 07:15:03 PM »
Two seedlings.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2024, 07:58:39 PM »
We have been a bit busy in the last few days (well it is snowdrops season!), but I would like to share this with you. I was sent a copy of the flier from Primrose Hill Gardens in Ireland which was of great interest.  It lists snowdrops which have arisen there and been named by Robin Hall including one which is very well deserved - even though it is the last on the list.  It looks to have nice long outers and claws which will show the mark whilst it is still in bud.  Well deserved recognition for one of Ireland's leading galanthophiles, Paddy Tobin. Welcome to the snowdrop 'immortals'.
    What nice news - Paddy is a galanthophile of long-standing.

Stefan B.

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2024, 08:48:38 AM »
Stefan, Your G. trojanus is very beautiful, I like this species very much but wonder, if it would stand the conditions in my garden. ´Naseweis´ is a very nice and unusual snowdrop, as is the name.

Mariette, mine G. trojanus growing under a lilac bush in brown forest soil, this soil has more sand than the clay soil you say you have in your garden. Snowdrop is not difficult to grow, in the summer I keep the soil moist, that's all.

To me, the bigger question is why does this snowdrop make four or five petals,
another year and I'm curious if his young bulbs will show this characteristic. But apparently no one in the forum has had such a problem..., I prefer it to bloom normally with three petals of the flower. I prefer not to exhibit these quirks.

And for the German varieties of snowdrops, I already have some wonderful varieties that I will show you these days :)

The two seedlings are very cute. 8)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 08:50:27 AM by Stefan B. »

Mariette

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2024, 01:42:41 PM »
Thank You, Stefan!

It would be great if Your Galanthus trojanus would flower with 4 or 5 tepals every year! As it´s doing so for the second time, there is hope that this will be a constant feature. In the past, I´ve selected some snowdrops with 4 tepals, either G. nivalis, but ´Merlin´and ´S. Arnott´, also. Usually, they showed this feature only once.  As Leena wrote, the additional tepal adds much to the attractiveness of Your G. trojanus!

I´m looking forward to see Your German varieties  of snowdrops here!   :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2024, 05:43:47 PM »
Matt Bishop's "in the green" list  for this  year is available from matt@mattbishopsnowdrops.co.uk

Stefan B.

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2024, 08:48:16 PM »
Thank You, Stefan!

It would be great if Your Galanthus trojanus would flower with 4 or 5 tepals every year! As it´s doing so for the second time, there is hope that this will be a constant feature. In the past, I´ve selected some snowdrops with 4 tepals, either G. nivalis, but ´Merlin´and ´S. Arnott´, also. Usually, they showed this feature only once.  As Leena wrote, the additional tepal adds much to the attractiveness of Your G. trojanus!

I´m looking forward to see Your German varieties  of snowdrops here!   :)
This is a photo from last spring.

Galanthus trojanus

ian mcdonald

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2024, 01:22:11 PM »
I found these snowdrops growing wild the other day in Scotland.  Anybody know what they are?

SusanH

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2024, 04:44:34 PM »
These are beautiful - nice to find something like that - lucky you

Stefan B.

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM »
I found these snowdrops growing wild the other day in Scotland.  Anybody know what they are?

I think they were just restricted from sunlight, they will soon turn green. They look like G. 'Flore Pleno' to me.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2024, 09:07:46 PM »
The snowdrops are in the open next to a river. The seed capsule is yellow.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal