Seedy Subjects! > Grow From Seed

Germination of Moraea huttonii

<< < (2/2)

Tomte:
Not quite the original topic (but still related as it relates to germinating in the fridge): I regularly keep seed of fritillaria aurea from the seed ex in the fridge but so far have not been successful in germinating that species. This year I also tried F. serpenticola. They are kept cool from at least November on, sometimes until March. Does anyone else have succeeded in germination these species recently obtained from the seed ex? I did not get many seeds each an wonder whether these were viable in the first place. Or is there some trick to help things along? How about moisture level in the fridge? I keep them in a non-ventilated fridge but do not water frequently (soil keeps moist, of course, as it’s covered with grit). Any thoughts?

Maggi Young:

--- Quote from: Tomte on January 13, 2024, 08:22:51 AM ---Not quite the original topic (but still related as it relates to germinating in the fridge): I regularly keep seed of fritillaria aurea from the seed ex in the fridge but so far have not been successful in germinating that species. This year I also tried F. serpenticola. They are kept cool from at least November on, sometimes until March. Does anyone else have succeeded in germination these species recently obtained from the seed ex? I did not get many seeds each an wonder whether these were viable in the first place. Or is there some trick to help things along? How about moisture level in the fridge? I keep them in a non-ventilated fridge but do not water frequently (soil keeps moist, of course, as it’s covered with grit). Any thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Ian Young warns against putting all/any  bulb seed in the fridge for storage  too early, as it may still need time to fully develop . It may be that your "reluctant" seed has been refridgerated too soon, even before you received it.

MarcR:
Tomte,

I am not familiar with the 2 species you mentioned; but Fritillarias generally need light and fluctuating temperatures including freezing.  You would likely do better to plant them outdoors as soon as you receive them; because they have a very short 'shelf life'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version