Specific Families and Genera > Rhododendron and other Ericaceae

Kalmiopsis leachiana

(1/1)

Diane Whitehead:
This was discovered in 1930, by Lilla Leach of Portland, Oregon, in the Siskiyou Mountains along the border between Oregon and California.

How gratifying to see a plant named for its discoverer instead of for some European botanist who has never travelled in the area.

MarcR:

--- Quote from: Diane Whitehead on April 22, 2022, 01:25:13 AM ---This was discovered in 1930, by Lilla Leach of Portland, Oregon, in the Siskiyou Mountains along the border between Oregon and California.

How gratifying to see a plant named for its discoverer instead of for some European botanist who has never travelled in the area.

--- End quote ---

I agree. I was under the impression that the discoverer was always entitled to name the discovery. Is that not true?

Vinny 123:
I was under the impression that naming for the discoverer had been discouraged for quite a few years - hence it being so rare as to essentially never happen.

Maggi Young:

--- Quote from: Vinny 123 on May 06, 2022, 07:34:12 AM ---I was under the impression that naming for the discoverer had been discouraged for quite a few years - hence it being so rare as to essentially never happen.

--- End quote ---

Not the experience I've seen. There are many rules about accurate naming but naming after the discoverer is not excluded.
 Example: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46621092
"Herb found in a waterfall

Prof Aiah Lebbie discovered an unusual plant clinging to rocks near a water fall in Sierra Leone. He collected a specimen and sent it to Kew, where it was identified as a new species. The plant, Lebbiea Grandiflora, has been named after him. "

Vinny 123:
I said discouraged, not excluded.

It was a long while ago that I read or heard this mentioned, so have no real idea where it was.

Species named after a person other than the discoverer remains moderately common.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version