SRGC Shows and Events > SRGC Shows Questions and Answers

Highland Group Show, 26th April 2008

(1/3) > >>

Maggi Young:
i was invitied to go to Nairn today to judge, with Davie Sharp of Lhanbryde, the Highland Group show. This is not a full SRGC show, but one held annually by the Inverness group for local members. This was the first year in the attractive venue of the new Community Centre in Nairn.  It is not a huge show, but as you will see from the pix, the hall looked bright and colourful and local members obviously take their plants very seriously.

3primulas from Carole and David Shaw, local show secretaries and Carol is convener Primulas are , back to front, White Lady, Hyacinthia and an auricula hybrid.
Abrotanella species
 Anemone ..named as ranunculoides but  is pallida
 Anemonella Gentiana Dianthus.( front to back)
 Armeria in crate waiting to be placed on the bench
 Bench1 view
 Bench2 view
 bendch3.jpg

Maggi Young:
Carol and David at their paperwork
Cassiope myrsenoides
Celmisia in lilac pot
a chubby Gypsophila aretiodes caucasca
Corydalis wilsonii
Daphne from above
Daphne petraea
David Shaw and Maeve Lewis..... I had to leave before I met Maeve's little daughter    :(... Dannielle, who is barley six months old. :D
Draba longisiliqua ( spelling??) in front and Draba mollissima behind in the cusion class

Maggi Young:
Davie Sharp and John Graham
A lovely bulb class... in Section two... Trillium rivale Purple heart from John Owen.... now of Askival, and two good frits... in front, Fritllaria pontica, not quite fully out, and behind, the plant which won Best bulb and best in show... Fritllaria affinis Sun Ray, from Jimmy MacDonald.
A close up of Frit. affinis Sunray
a lovely gentian with very pointed flowers... labelled as G. clusii, but Davie had doubts
Hacquetia epipactis
An Iberis from  Win Behan ( Bevan?) one of the friendly local ladies helping with the teas and plant stall.
 Lewisia brachycalyx
A very showy Lewisia hybrid... full of flowers but the leaves were not in such good shape!
Lewisia tweedyi alba
Olive Bryer, who won most points in Section I, preparing her plants for the bench

Maggi Young:
A view of part of the hall
Pleione Tongariro
Primula  Harlow Carr which won Best primula
Primula marginata Hyacinthia
Primula mdesta fauriae
Primula 'Arundel Stripe' ... hard to get this one correct, because it was so white in its white bits!!
Primula Butter Yellow
Primula 'Pear Drop'.. this was a rather odd colour
Primula veris
plants ready to be staged

Maggi Young:
 Pulsatilla Papageno
 pulsatillas
 Pulsatilla vulgaris , lifted from the open ground
 Scleranthus uniflorus
 shiny pink lewisia
 show hall
 Soldanella alpina