Bulbs > Crocus

Aphids - How to Get Rid of Them

<< < (2/7) > >>

David Shaw:
When I read your request yesterday, Arthur, it was dark, cold & wet outside so rather than a trip to the potting shed I stayed by the fire with my glass of wine! Having checked this morning the two products I have on the shelf are:

Phostrogen - Rose & Flower Organic Insecticide
B&Q - Organic Insecticide

Neither carry the Soil Association seal of approval but the B&Q product is recognised by HDRA. Both seem to work and I only use them as required.
Hope you get to read this before you set out to buy the Provado!

art600:
David

Thanks for the extra info.

I already have Provado, so might do a trial using Provado and the B &Q product.

David Pilling:
Hi,

Has anyone got an opinion of which insecticide is safest for the gardener?

I'm thinking about the reports one often sees in the papers about gardeners being at a greater long term risk to some neurological problems - it is assumed due to their use of insecticides.

David Pilling

David Shaw:
That is one of our reasons for using organic, David.
Used properly, all chemical passed for garden use 'should' be safe, they are much less strong than the equivalents used in horticulture and agriculture.
Knowing the broad base of knowledge of our forum members I am sure that some one will come up with a web site that wil answere your query more directly.

Joakim B:
There is an alternative to soap and water that is "soap" oil and water. The oil is rapeseed oil but can be any vegetabile oil. This is quite usefull and have been tested also for outdoor use on rasberry field in Sweden.
I have heard that orchid people has it in there greenhouses.
Many used to disolve Provado sticks in warm water and water the orchids with it. When I did that I used very warm water and I inhailed the fume that came frome the disoled sticks. Later that day I got really dissy but I am not sure it was the effect of the insectiside, it could have been a virus of some sort.
One need to be very restrictive vehn sprayingand make sure to use appropriate protection even if the spray comes from a can and not a outdoor machine. I think it seems to be a lot of chemicals (insectisides, fungicides etc) used here rather than trying other things.
That is my oppinion and I try not to bee so fast in using them. Then I do not grow that valuable plants and try to kill what needs to be killed with other meens. It is not only what the gardeners get it is also what the garden gets that counts. The gardeners are not a small user of the pesticides. Many creeks become a big river so to say.

Hope I did not offend anyone by this.

Kind regards
Joakim Balogh

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version