We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Recalcitrant Narcissus jonquilla  (Read 837 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Recalcitrant Narcissus jonquilla
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:04:59 AM »
I have a new batch of Narcissus jonquilla germinating now. Previous attempts to cultivate this species have failed. It has been easy to get the seed to germinate however the seedlings slowly die off (disappear) over time before reaching blooming age.  ???

All of my other Narcissus species grow well.

Any ideas?

Any clues that might help me along would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Recalcitrant Narcissus jonquilla
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 10:31:08 AM »
I was going to suggest making sure it is dry in the summer, but seeing your location, I can see there is no problem with that!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Recalcitrant Narcissus jonquilla
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 03:43:41 AM »
Anne,

Thank you for the information. Needless to say, keeping the bulbs dry in the summer is easy.  ;D

The seed has always come from a seed exchange. Maybe they have been some sort of surprise? Too bad that they all died and I did not have the opportunity to find out what they might be. I do not mind surprise seedlings at all - and sometimes something good shows up.

Another possibility is that the seed could have been mislabled and been something like N. cyclamineus. Around here, I need to keep this species moist during the summer otherwise it dies out. Hybrids like 'Jetfire' survive baking during the summer. One even survived in our gravel driveway!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:51:39 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal