We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 50 cyclamen  (Read 3567 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Bulb log 50 cyclamen
« on: December 17, 2006, 03:39:33 PM »
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2006/131206/log.html

Dear Ian/Maggie
On the picture of muscari macrocarpum was a cyclamen with nice foliage.
It had small flowers or at least it lookeed small compared with the foliage.

PS Does that cyclamen need to be in an alpine house or what cold can it take?

Kind regards
Joakim
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:43:19 PM by Maggi Young »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb log 50 cyclamen
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 06:25:34 PM »
Hi Joakim
It is Cyclamen africanum;  a seedling from Sandy Leven's multi Forrest medal winning plant that originated from Jim Archibald. ( see the forrest medal section on the home page of the SRGC web site.)
I am not 100% sure that it is true africanum, it could have some hederifolium in it.
It has very large well marked leaves and grows happily in an unheated glasshouse, the flowers are quite large but are dwarfed by the size of the leaves.
I have another plant at the base of a south facing wall which has been out for about three years now.
I have been told that if it was africanum it would not survive the cold we get even under glass but I have not told the plants that.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Bulb log 50 cyclamen
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:59:01 PM »
Hi Ian
Thanks for the info.
I hope to get some more tender plants to Portugal even if the normal persicum grows well here, but different ones that would not survive the south of Sweden with lows of -10C with extrems down to -20C and that can be without snow!
Yes Ian some things are better kept secret  ;)

I have read about the plant in the bulblog and/or the medal section but did not realize it was that plant :-[. That is how well I know cyclamen.

kind regards

Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal