We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus plicatus ‘Primrose Warburg’, where to plant  (Read 395 times)

Sempervivum

• Ullis Homepage
Galanthus plicatus ‘Primrose Warburg’, where to plant
« on: March 17, 2024, 10:53:18 AM »
Dear Galanthus lovers,
till now I grew common G. nivalis and G. elwesii only.
But now I ordered Galanthus plicatus ‘Primrose Warburg’ and I'm unshure where to plant it. Two options available:
Where Cyclamen and Hepatica are growing
or
together with Rhododendron/Azalea?
This Galanthus is fairly expensive and I'm worrying that I'd might do something wrong.
Any advice is welcome.
Best regards from northern Germany.
Ulrich
Ulrich Bangert in northern germany
near Hannover, city of the Expo 2000
http://www.ulrichbangert.de/orchid/index2.php

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus plicatus ‘Primrose Warburg’, where to plant
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 05:15:55 PM »
Well, the mature leaves of 'Primrose Warburg' will dwarf your Cyclamen and Hepatica but the Rhododendrons/Azaleas will dwarf the snowdrop.  I don't think I've ever seen a happy mix of Rhododendrons and snowdrops, unless you are very careful the vigour of the Rhododendrons will cause them to shade out the snowdrops.
Almost in Scotland.

Sempervivum

• Ullis Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 06:13:05 AM »
Thanks for these hints.
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the english chemical terms.
What about the "Bodenreaktion"? Should it tend to be acid (Rhodos) or alkaline (Cyclamen)?
Ulrich Bangert in northern germany
near Hannover, city of the Expo 2000
http://www.ulrichbangert.de/orchid/index2.php

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 07:42:30 AM »
I don't think that it matters so much if it is alkaline or acid (unless very very acid), more important is that the soil is moist (not wet) and humusrich.
If your bed with Hepatica and Cyclamen is very dry, then I wouldn't plant it there. I have many snowdrops in the same beds as Rhododendrons and especially G.plicatus likes it there. It is not the acidity but the beds for rhodos are made with lots of humus and are more moist. If you don't plant them just below the  rhodos (so that rhodos will shadow snowdrops), they are ok.
I have found 'Primrose Warburg' a good snowdrops and not very demanding. Snowdrops like sun when they flower (but shade in summer), so that is also a consideration.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 07:44:54 AM »
I will add, that I have snowdrops growing close to Hepaticas, and they do well, but the soil is not very dry.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 07:35:04 PM »
.....Snowdrops like sun when they flower (but shade in summer), so that is also a consideration.

How do you manage that amongst rhododendrons, Leena?  Is there an overstory of deciduous trees?
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 04:22:28 PM »
How do you manage that amongst rhododendrons, Leena?  Is there an overstory of deciduous trees?

Alan, I only meant that if soil is good for rhodos, then also snowdrops grow well in it, at least here.
In my garden I have mixed rhododendrons with other shade loving perennials and also spring bulbs and all grow well.
Here is a picture taken today, showing some rhodos and deciduous trees (Syringa, Acer and native birches), everything else is still under snow.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal