We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Puzzles  (Read 152972 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Puzzles
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »
Here's a little puzzle for you if its still rainy.
I entered this pic in a competition.  First I had to find a name for the butterfly.  It could be one you have seen locally.  Do its wings reflect the sky?

Did you win first prize Tony?  You should have , it's a beautiful shot (I think I have a photo of it from Italy but the only blue butterfly I have caught here is the Adonis Blue (?) in my patch of meadow grasses - it was so enjoying fast food it was almost impossible to get near it!
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 01:51:59 PM »
Mirror blue ... or in the case of Lancashire ... mirror murky grey?   ;D

Greyer and greyer, Cliff, Lancashire can't possibly be as grey as this?  Now you see why I started Puzzles! Please send some colour to me!

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 02:09:53 PM »
Butterbur is very common round here where it grows under trees alongside rivers. It is one of the first wild flowers to come out. I don't know how it got its name but that also applies to many common plant names.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Carol Shaw

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 02:16:43 PM »
Ah but I've got an answer for you...

The name Butterbur is supposed to have been given it because formerly these large leaves were used to wrap butter in during hot weather.  ;D ;D
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

David Shaw

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 02:20:34 PM »
Burrrrr

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 02:29:46 PM »
Butterbur is very common round here where it grows under trees alongside rivers. It is one of the first wild flowers to come out. I don't know how it got its name but that also applies to many common plant names.

Strange they like two such different environments, David, what trees are along the river where you are?  The Butterbur I photographed was in the leaf litter from forest pines, birches, beech...no water except underground melt water?

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 02:33:06 PM »
Ah but I've got an answer for you...

The name Butterbur is supposed to have been given it because formerly these large leaves were used to wrap butter in during hot weather.  ;D ;D

Anne, it's wonderful to have that connection with how plants were named - was tickled pink you knew it!  Now roll on the hot weather so I can try wrapping my Swiss butter in the leaves - but not sure when the real leaves appear? ::)

Carol Shaw

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 02:50:50 PM »
Anne, it's wonderful to have that connection with how plants were named - was tickled pink you knew it!  Now roll on the hot weather so I can try wrapping my Swiss butter in the leaves - but not sure when the real leaves appear? ::)

Anne possibly did know the answer as well :) Leaves appear after the plant has flowered.
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2009, 03:01:09 PM »

Anne possibly did know the answer as well :) Leaves appear after the plant has flowered.

Sorry Carol!....I was so impressed I got my mames mumbled up! I will look out for the Utterly butterly leaves

David Shaw

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2009, 03:04:06 PM »
The ground is generally moist and humus rich but with deciduous trees like alder, willow and birch.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »
The ground is generally moist and humus rich but with deciduous trees like alder, willow and birch.

Maybe birch is the common link, David - humus rich as well?...  talking of which what is best to add to an raised alpine bulb bed which is sinking in the snow melt? 

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »
I entered this pic in a competition.  First I had to find a name for the butterfly.  It could be one you have seen locally.  Do its wings reflect the sky?
I would say common blue (Polyommatus icarus)? Too much blue near the body for the adonis blue. I would be extremely surprised to see apollos much before June anywhere in the Alps. I saw them in July in the Italian Alps in 1988. I have bred them in the greenhouse on Sedum album. The larvae over-winter fully formed but still inside the egg.

Here's some pics of Parnassius apollo in the greenhouse in 2003 and the small apollo (P. phoebus) in 2004. The female apollo has much more translucent wings.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 05:27:56 PM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Shaw

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »
Beautiful.

David Shaw

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2009, 05:25:32 PM »
'talking of which what is best to add to an raised alpine bulb bed which is sinking in the snow melt? '

A mixture of humus and grit with added bonemeal.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2009, 05:45:12 PM »
I would say common blue (Polyommatus icarus)? Too much blue near the body for the adonis blue. I would be extremely surprised to see apollos much before June anywhere in the Alps. I saw them in July in the Italian Alps in 1988. I have bred them in the greenhouse on Sedum album. The larvae over-winter fully formed but still inside the egg.

Here's some pics of Parnassius apollo in the greenhouse in 2003 and the small apollo (P. phoebus) in 2004. The female apollo has much more translucent wings.

Anthony, how amazing to see such beautiful photos from your greenhouse of the Apollo butterfly.  I took my photo of the two entwined on July 18th and had never seen such an amazing display of translucent wings close up.  What other butterflies do you breed in Dunblane?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal