We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2018 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 1771 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
June 2018 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: June 02, 2018, 01:54:17 AM »
It's officially winter here!
No more searing heat! Just temperatures like a Scottish summer ;D
Unfortunately it's predicted to be a dryish winter so it looks like we'll be continuing to water the garden as well, Maggi!
Here are some Australian native plants in the garden:
Correa reflexa "Mini-Pink"
Correa 'Marion's Marvel'
Hakea 'Burrendong Beauty'
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 01:56:18 AM by fermi de Sousa »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: June 2018 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 02:20:12 AM »
Wow, the Hakea is very handsome Fermi!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 12:47:47 AM »
Winter here too of course and I'm not sure about dry but ours is predicted to be the coldest for many years. so far we've had, since the last week in May, frosts of -6 and -7C every morning for a week now and the ground is hard, pots rock solid, nothing weedable (and everything needing it).

The only bulb in flower is the ongoing clump, quite a decent one now, of Galanthus reginae-olgae and a couple of late flowers on Cyclamen cilicium while the first flower is out on C. coum, with, happily, thousands to come but not a single crocus or narcissus yet this time last year there were several of both.

Shoulder is improving slowly but surely and every few days I can see progress. On Friday I can say "that's better than it was on Monday" Physio is helping but hurting but no pain no gain, so I'm told.  :-\
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 12:52:54 AM »
I meant to add that in the garden at large, the only thing really in strong bloom is Fermi's (Australian) Correa. I'm not sure which it is, not a new one or anything special but always reliable for winter bloom and the tuis and bellbirds and waxeyes all love it so there must be a lot of nectar in the flowers. The tuis in particular are making such a racket that glorious though it is, I sometimes want to tell them to shut up!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 02:23:07 PM »
Wow, the Hakea is very handsome Fermi!
Thanks, Gabriela,
We like it a lot and in fact bought a second one but it isn't doing as well as this one.

Lesley,
I don't remember sending you a correa ???
 ;D
We haven't had as cold weather here - yet!
Here are a few things in the garden now:
A form of Gladiolus dalenii (I presume!)
Oxalis massoniana
Oxalis hirta seedlings
Some white "hoops' which might be 'Fyno'
Ceratostigma in autumn colour
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

arillady

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:39:48 AM »
Fermi I think these yellow flowered bulbs might have come from you. Remind me of their name. Note the brown stripes on the outside of the petals.
Galanthus reginae-olgae happily increasing here.
Crocus cartwrightianus
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »
Fermi I think these yellow flowered bulbs might have come from you. Remind me of their name...
Hi Pat,
If I sent them they could be what I grow as Ipheion sellowianum, (AKA Tristagma sellowianum) though I think it's now called Nothoscordum felipponei.
I like that crocus!
You do much better with Galanthus reginae-olgae - I'm not sure if mine are still alive!
1) Here's the first of the Galanthus elwesii, flowering a bit off the path, so not the best pic :-[
2) Moraea polystachya continues to flower, brightening up the winter rock garden, though this one has seeded itself into the path!
3) Colchicum cupanii still flowering
4) Nerine 'Splendens' - an old variety I got back in 1987 from Mrs Ruth Tindale, my mentor in rock gardening
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal