We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SW Turkey in November  (Read 6192 times)

cycnich

• Mister 1000
Re: SW Turkey in November
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »

I attach a picture below of two seedlings from the same seed pod collected in Turkey from a 'good'parent.This illustrates the difference in what can come up.
[/quote]

I have got to the stage now where I rarely sow seed unless it is from selected plants from my own collection. From the resulting seedlings I will keep 1 or 2 out of every 100, a further 25 or 30 will be good enough to sell the other 70 or so will be thrown away as simply not good enough. As you say there is no guarantee good parents breed good children and this is what makes it so interesting, the trouble is the better your collection gets the harder it is to find seedlings that are good enough to fit in.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »
Pat nice to see those they are lovely. The other problem is finding room for the seedlings before deciding which to keep and which to discard.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »
Pat nice to see those they are lovely. The other problem is finding room for the seedlings before deciding which to keep and which to discard.
Tony, space is a big problem it seems the more you have the more you grow. I have plants in every nook and cranny, balanced in between other plants, on shelves, on makeshift tables in the garden but it is infectious. Brian Burrow said once that all you need is 100 top quality plants and you will get as much pleasure from them as you get from 1000, he is probally right but that is a hard one to achieve.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 09:00:15 PM »
Pat clearly you have not visited Brian recently. This is a case of  'Do as I say,not as I do'.

He has hundreds if not thousands of plants all in excellent condition.

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 09:03:12 PM »
Pat clearly you have not visited Brian recently. This is a case of  'Do as I say,not as I do'.

He has hundreds if not thousands of plants all in excellent condition.
Yes that sounds like Brian.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2009, 10:28:47 AM »
Truly wonderfull leaf forms Pat !!!  :o :o
Thanks for showing !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 10:57:21 PM »

Paul although I am not a member, The Cyclamen Society has an excellent seed exchange and I am sure you would find some good forms there. I would say however that what comes off a good parent is no guarantee of a good seedling,unless like me you find them all good.

I attach a picture below of two seedlings from the same seed pod collected in Turkey from a 'good'parent.This illustrates the difference in what can come up.

i think i might be like you then, tony, i'd probably think they were all good! certainly i'd be happy to have these two lovely and nicely different forms, esp from wild collected seed..
was this all from the pod, or you just chose two good ones to show for contrast?

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »
I had a dozen germinated and they were the two most contrasting and I discarded the rest.

I have attached a picture of some leaves of plants, again from one wild collected pod, from Crete. They are not very exciting but different. The bottom two although not apparent in the picture are quite silvery but the rest are dull green and also the flower colour was variable. I find this variability in offspring of seed from one plant interesting.

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2009, 04:37:28 PM »
I had a dozen germinated and they were the two most contrasting and I discarded the rest.

I have attached a picture of some leaves of plants, again from one wild collected pod, from Crete. They are not very exciting but different. The bottom two although not apparent in the picture are quite silvery but the rest are dull green and also the flower colour was variable. I find this variability in offspring of seed from one plant interesting.
These are nice Tony and I notice that they came from the rhodopou a source of many good forms that I have either directly or seed from melvyns plants. Sadly I have heard that the site at Afrata has been very badly damaged although I am not sure of the full details maybe somebody can provide more information ?.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »

intersting indeed! this sort of variation is the most exciting prospect in seed propagation :) some cacti and succulents are famously variable, but these cyclamen must be among the most radical plants in that regard..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal