General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

October 2007 in the Southern Hemisphere

(1/26) > >>

fermi de Sousa:
It's definitely NOT early spring anymore (the first snakes have been seen!), so I figure it's time for a new topic.
To start it off here's Allium crispum.

cheers
fermi

fermi de Sousa:
Here's a leucocoryne in flower in the Rock garden, not sure if it's a hybrid.

And a first flowering on Dichelostemma capitatum grown from NARGS Seedex seed, 2004, I think.

And another look at Dianthus "Whatfield Wisp" which is looking very floriferous this year!

cheers
fermi

Paul T:
Fermi,

Nice Dianthus.  Rather delicate flowers to it by the look of it, and as you say it is looking very floriferous.  Nice one I haven't come across before (then again that applies to a LOT of Dianthus!!  ;D)

Do you propagate your Dianthus regularly?  I'm finding here that we have a definite use-by date on some of the Dianthus and they drop dead eventually in our climate.  I am making efforts to create "backups" of the majority of mine after losing a couple last year like 'Highland Fraser' which I really liked.  D. 'Becky Robinson' is doing fantastically this year and should be in flower within a couple of weeks.  Lots of buds on lots of them at the moment.

Leucocoryne are starting into flower here as well.  The only Dichelostemma I grow is ida-maia (or however it is spelt) and despite it being reputed to be difficult it grows well and tends to flower most years.  Nice to see your capitata flowering for you, particularly as a first time from seed which is always a thrill.  ;D

Lesley Cox:
I have a very nice seedling from `Whatfield Wisp.' It's just starting so I'll do a pic in a week or so.

Tropaeolum azureum. This one is for Paul. I took 17 images before getting one that is in any way usable. The angle and the surrounding leaves put everything out of focus and I couldn't move the pot as the Tropaeolum has twined itself around everything around it. It's quite a bit darker than some I've seen, as you can see by the deep shade of the buds. This is the 3rd year it's flowered and there are 2 from seed, in the pot. No seed so far.

Fritillaria recurva. I don't find this difficult in a pot so I might plant the bigger ones in the garden come the summer time.

fermi de Sousa:
I like that Frit recurva, Lesley; I've yet to get it past the seedling stage myself.

Here's the very lovely Narcissus "Flo May" which did much better last year with some double headed scapes, but this year, "just the one" and only one flowering scape!

but at least you can see the pale pink colouring of the cup better than in the pic I posted last year.

Also in bloom, the lovely Ranunculus gramineus,

and the first flowers on the tiny Dianthus echidiformis which apparently was an invalid name once used for D. anatolicus. Shown here growing in a crevice, having been put in as cuttings 2 years ago! The two plants have grown into each other which is why it looks a bit "bumpy"!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version